Honored Contributor

Full disclosure, I am a New Yorker born and breed, I have lived in two of the five boroughs my whole life. My elderly mom fell, she is in a rehab for two months now. I was speaking with one of the aides, she is originally not from here, she said New Yorkers aren't friendly. I kind of took offense, I think we get a bad rap. I will strike up conversations with people in the bank, supermarket, anywhere. Nine times out of ten people will converse with you, sure you get that one person sometimes who isn't interested, and I can take a hint ( I will help someone when I can and say hello to all). I don't know how you classify a whole group of people as one thing. She then tried to back track her comments by saying people are always in a hurry here. I was wondering for those of you who have visited New York, do you find the natives to be unfriendly?

Honored Contributor

Re: Are New Yorkers Unfriendly

I don’t think New Yorkers are unfriendly.  I’ve been there several times, the last time was a year ago.    I made several comments about how clean the city was and how friendly people were 

I think New York gets a bad rap for being unfriendly.  Maybe because people are rushing and busy...

Honored Contributor

No, New Yorkers are not unfriendly.  Bostonians are not cold and aloof.   Small town and suburban people are not all friendly and open and wholesome.  People are people wherever you go.   

Trusted Contributor

I live at the other end of NY State and have visited the City often. I don't find the people any colder or more aloof than anywhere else. Many people are very friendly and some are not. I think NYC gets a bad rap in that respect. I was born and raised in Chicago and left there when I was in my 20s. Now, THAT is a place with rude and obnoxious people. Every time I go back to visit family, I dread interacting with salespeople, hotel staff, transit employees, etc because they are some of the rudest humans on the planet. I always thought so and that's one of the reasons I left and why, 46 years later I have never even considered moving back there.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I dislike mass, opinion-based, broad-stroke generalizations.

Honored Contributor

It is so easy to generalize. I would guess that in every region of the country there are unfriendly folks. Have you heard of the " Seattle Freeze ?"  I have always found New Yorkers to be friendly and helpful, you can't judge a whole city or state on a few experiences. ❤️🍎

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I agree with @Bri369.  I was born and raised in CT.  Spent lots of time in NY and even lived there for six months.  I think New Yorkers get a rap because of the hustle bustle.  New Yorkers are fast paced based on other parts of the country.  I live in a small town of in the midwest.  It's not even a town, but a village.  Population 10,000.  I quickly felt the pace difference.  Not that there is anything wrong with it.  I had to learn to not go 600 miles an hour.  I hope that makes sense.

Honored Contributor

Having been born and raised in New York and having lived there many years I can say that the generalization about New Yorkers is hogwash.

Esteemed Contributor

I hate generalizations, as well.  Most of the time I find them to be very negative.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2  I'm a New Yorker.I've lived here my entire life. I definitely think we get a bad wrap. 

I've always been friendly & polite .Whenever I go into the city I'm almost always approached by tourists for help. They either want directions or advise on where to go & where to dine.I always help them & we end up having a fun conversation.

There are rude people everywhere.I've come across them in my travels. However, it's unfair to chastise an entire state because somebody might be rude.