Honored Contributor

Re: Are My Expectations Unreasonable

[ Edited ]

The UPS guys always knocks

My USPS guy on the other hand ----well---- it depends what mood he's in.....  Thats why I signed up for Informed Delivery and know when a package will arrive or has arrived....I get an email when to expect a package, and then a follow up when its been delivered.......Sign up at USPS.com at the top of the page click INFORMED DELIVERY

Fed Ex worse than the USPS..... Smiley Sad

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I would rather they didn't ring the bell. We have so many substitutes on our route with USPS, Fed Ex never the same driver, and UPS guy we know because my husband works there. 

Ringing the bell gets the dog to barking, the cats go flying, and I have a husband that works late into the night and doesn't get home and in bed till almost 4 am sometimes, so I appreciate the silence and them not creating all the drama a doorbell can cause here. When my kid was little, he napped in the afternoon and I hated when the bell rang then too. 

I think as we become more of a 24/7 society, with people working all different shifts and sleeping all different shifts, it would seem appropriate to not ring the bell anymore.

Respected Contributor

I think delivery people are stuck between a rock and a hard place - some people want them to ring the door bell and others don’t.  My husband is a retired UPS driver for several years and I don’t know if UPS still does this but when he was there the company used to map out the route, figure out how long it should take the driver to deliver their packages for the day and if they were over by so many minutes they would get a talking to.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2   Some households may have day sleepers and don't want the bell ring.  I put a note above my doorbell, easily seen by anyone approaching my door,. Deliveries - Please Ring the Bell.  Works well for me.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I am on the second floor, 1 small flight of stairs. MY old UPS guy was great he would deliver everything to my door. Now all packages are left at the base odd the stairs. On occasion Amazon will deliver to my door   

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

No one rang the bell at my previous residence, and it's the same way at my new home, unless a signature is needed, which is rare. 

what would be the point?   They don't have time to hang around to see if anyone answers the door.  Also as noted earlier, many people and pets prefer they don't 

Honored Contributor

They used to, but now no one rings the bell.

Honored Contributor

My lazy az$ postal worker now throws my package from the sidewalk so that it bangs against my door before falling.  Scares the geebies out of me every time.

No need to ring the bell when you do that!

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

So feel free to tell me I'm wrong, I can take it! It seems when I am expecting a package delivery no one rings the bell. I live in a private house, I have no issue with my regular UPS delivery man, he always rings the bell and waits for me to answer the door (I give him a tip at Christmas). If someone fills in for him, they don't ring the bell. My mailman (who isn't very nice, I give him a very nice tip at Christmas because I'm an idiot) doesn't ring the bell. Lasership, Fedex also don't ring the bell. I don't understand why they come up the porch, place the package and flee like a thief in the night, what would be the big deal ringing the bell, I don't even expect them to wait for me to open the door, just let me know my package is sitting on the porch?

@Jordan2, FedEx is the absolute worst for me. Take today for instance. I did not order anything. I just happened to be standing at the sink washing a few dishes when all of a sudden I see this FedEx truck backing up the steep hill flying.

At the top there are 2 houses mine and my neighbors.There are some  shrubs and plantings where the drive splits to go to each house and a pole to supply the houses. This guy barrels over 4 shrubs and hits the pole. There are fireballs and power to both houses goes out. So what does he do. He takes off down the hill under the fireballs still falling in a heavily wooded area. He did not check with either of us or take time to look at the back of his damaged vehicle.

It was awhile before the power company came to check everything. Later the gift was delivered(food,candy, fruit) and left behind one of the garage doors to be backed on. It is 93 degrees out. There are 2 garage doors with a wall between the 2. Fortunately I took some recycling out and discovered the package. They never bring it to the porch (EVER). They dump it in flower beds on top of blooming flowers, yes!!!!  There are other stories similar. Always FedEx. THE WORST!!!!Woman Mad

I always have a large cold bottled water and ice cream cup on hot days for the UPS people. They always ring the bell and put it on the porch. Heart Night and day difference.

Honored Contributor

"flee like a thief in the night"

That's about it.  

None of them ring my doorbell.  Of course, for residents not at home, ringing the bell wouldn't matter except to the dogs. 

UPS and Fedex have timing down to a science.  Probably putting a finger on the doorbell takes a second too much time.  What else could it be?

Wouldn't it be nice if we could retrieve our packages as soon as they are delivered so porch thieves don't have a field day?

If enough customers complain to USPS, UPS, and Fedex, maybe they will start doing it.  Don't count on it, though.  Saving money by knocking off seconds is more important than package security.