Honored Contributor

Re: Are Home Prices Stabilizing in Your Area?

[ Edited ]

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

No stabilizing in my area.  Unless you can afford to pay over the sales price/appraised value, you won't be able to win the bid.

@San Antonio Gal 

Exactly what's happening in my area. We just sold my mother-in-law's house for way over its appraised value. There was a bidding war over it, and it definitely needs work & updating inside. Three homes in our own neighborhood also sold quickly and over what we would consider their "actual value". There's a shortage of homes for sale so people are paying premium prices right now. 

Respected Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@Kalli wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

We keep getting cards with a picture of our house and saying name a price and if we agree we'll give you cash as is. Of course they will not be handing over millions for our home but we never have been inundated with these cards before. Usually it's just some add from a realtor asking if you want to sell. This is in southern NY state. 

@proudlyfromNJ we get cards, too!  The thing I don't like is now people are starting to text me.  They never leave their name, just say that they're interested in buying properties.  I can hear my dad, whose career involved dealing with the public, advising that with any interaction, "always introduce yourself first!"  The cards sometimes only have first name signed.  The texts never have any id whatsoever.

I immediately delete texts and only save cards that have complete signatures on them.  Not ready to sell and may never be, but I do file away the correspondence that's signed with full name.

No need to keep the signed correspondence --- it's just a gimmick. When people are thinking about selling their house, best to call several real estate agents in the area - to get updated information. 

@kivah Yes I know you're right about that.  Many of them show pictures of their kids, spouse, etc.  Talk about gimmicks. Smiley Wink  

Honored Contributor

We have no plans to move anywhere unless it has to be assisted living at one point. We are very happy here and nothing has changed around here. The biggest problem seems to be will the kids need masks in school. Parents  have already made their voices heard with the BOE.

Respected Contributor

@On It No stabilization...I was outbid by $30 for a condo in Connecticut.  

Honored Contributor

Not only are prices raising, there are not a lot of houses on the market.  We're looking but we have not found what we are looking for yet.  

Honored Contributor

Here in the Midwest houses are still selling very fast, and unless you are willing to pay way over the asking price and get into a bidding war, they are selling right from under you! My nephew and his wife were looking for a while and they got tired of being outbid for every house they looked at.

Most of the homes they looked at, there were 10 or more bids, and they were selling within a day or two of being listed. One of the ladies I work with said her son just sold his home that he was only in for 3 years for 110 over the asking price! Crazy!!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Investors were snapping up houses at top prices in our community and renting them. Very desirable since we have pool and tennis courts. Our HOA has amended to stop this and now they are NOT permitted to rent for one year!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

@kivah wrote:

@Kalli wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

We keep getting cards with a picture of our house and saying name a price and if we agree we'll give you cash as is. Of course they will not be handing over millions for our home but we never have been inundated with these cards before. Usually it's just some add from a realtor asking if you want to sell. This is in southern NY state. 

@proudlyfromNJ we get cards, too!  The thing I don't like is now people are starting to text me.  They never leave their name, just say that they're interested in buying properties.  I can hear my dad, whose career involved dealing with the public, advising that with any interaction, "always introduce yourself first!"  The cards sometimes only have first name signed.  The texts never have any id whatsoever.

I immediately delete texts and only save cards that have complete signatures on them.  Not ready to sell and may never be, but I do file away the correspondence that's signed with full name.

No need to keep the signed correspondence --- it's just a gimmick. When people are thinking about selling their house, best to call several real estate agents in the area - to get updated information. 

@kivah Yes I know you're right about that.  Many of them show pictures of their kids, spouse, etc.  Talk about gimmicks. Smiley Wink  

Realtors try to relate to the homeowners or buyers - which is fine. Always best to interview many realtors --- to see their track record in the area u live. If someone doesn't have to sell their house -- or buy a house at this time --- I think it's best to wait. The housing market is crazy --  and we'll be seeing many foreclosures. Unfortunately, the hedge-funds, corporations, BlackRock/BlackStone will be buying up many of these homes and paying CASH --- making it difficult for the average family to buy. Then they rent them out. Our government at work!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@kivah   Yes, I think you're assessment is correct.  We are selling now and waiting for the lower prices.

@kivah wrote:

@Kalli wrote:

@kivah wrote:

@Kalli wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Realtors try to relate to the homeowners or buyers - which is fine. Always best to interview many realtors --- to see their track record in the area u live. If someone doesn't have to sell their house -- or buy a house at this time --- I think it's best to wait. The housing market is crazy --  and we'll be seeing many foreclosures. Unfortunately, the hedge-funds, corporations, BlackRock/BlackStone will be buying up many of these homes and paying CASH --- making it difficult for the average family to buy. Then they rent them out. Our government at work!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@wilma wrote:

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

No stabilizing in my area.  Unless you can afford to pay over the sales price/appraised value, you won't be able to win the bid.

@San Antonio Gal 

Exactly what's happening in my area. We just sold my mother-in-law's house for way over its appraised value. There was a bidding war over it, and it definitely needs work & updating inside. Three homes in our own neighborhood also sold quickly and over what we would consider their "actual value". There's a shortage of homes for sale so people are paying premium prices right now. 

Sadly, many investors are buying these homes and renting them out.