Respected Contributor

Re: Are Home Prices Stabilizing in Your Area?

@phoenixbrd , thanks for the info.  I thought it would have some impact.  My brother lives in the interior of British Columbia where they are experiencing severe fires right now.  I can't imagine there is no impact.  LM

Respected Contributor

@On It , I live in Nova Scotia, east coast of Canada.  The weather has changed here.  Winters are milder, summers are longer and temperatures are warmer.  Climate change is real.  We have had a huge impact in our real estate market with people from upper Canada (Ontario) and from Western Canada moving here during Covid.  So much so that it escalates the housing market prices so much that younger first home buyers are having difficulty finding affordable housing (rental) and/or real estate purchases.  LM

Honored Contributor

In my area--NE of Seattle, I think the craziness has lessened. I sold my house in Jan in 2 days and got $140 K OVER the listed price, by folks in Austin TX, who had their realtor up here stand in for them. Never met them until the day I turned over the keys-----they were doing the same with their house in TX----amazing, crazy, mind blowing------

Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@Kalli wrote:

@kivah wrote:

@Kalli wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

We keep getting cards with a picture of our house and saying name a price and if we agree we'll give you cash as is. Of course they will not be handing over millions for our home but we never have been inundated with these cards before. Usually it's just some add from a realtor asking if you want to sell. This is in southern NY state. 

@proudlyfromNJ we get cards, too!  The thing I don't like is now people are starting to text me.  They never leave their name, just say that they're interested in buying properties.  I can hear my dad, whose career involved dealing with the public, advising that with any interaction, "always introduce yourself first!"  The cards sometimes only have first name signed.  The texts never have any id whatsoever.

I immediately delete texts and only save cards that have complete signatures on them.  Not ready to sell and may never be, but I do file away the correspondence that's signed with full name.

No need to keep the signed correspondence --- it's just a gimmick. When people are thinking about selling their house, best to call several real estate agents in the area - to get updated information. 

@kivah Yes I know you're right about that.  Many of them show pictures of their kids, spouse, etc.  Talk about gimmicks. Smiley Wink  

Realtors try to relate to the homeowners or buyers - which is fine. Always best to interview many realtors --- to see their track record in the area u live. If someone doesn't have to sell their house -- or buy a house at this time --- I think it's best to wait. The housing market is crazy --  and we'll be seeing many foreclosures. Unfortunately, the hedge-funds, corporations, BlackRock/BlackStone will be buying up many of these homes and paying CASH --- making it difficult for the average family to buy. Then they rent them out. Our government at work!!!!!

@kivah, those institutions you list are not our government.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Yes, the market is softening.  In my town, prices range from about five million down to a couple hundred thousand.  At each price point it is a buyer's market, according to the realtor who is selling my parents' house.  If your home is not renovated and in spotless condition, good luck finding a  buyer.  

Valued Contributor

Not one bit. So crazy here which is good for us Home owners.
Houses are selling first day on the market and thousands over asking. A friend of mine is a realtor, she sold a house last week and got 95,000 over asking.
Honored Contributor

(thread title)

@On It 

Since my sister retired as a Real Estate broker, and we have no intention of moving? All I know is my Property Taxes keep going up exponentially each year. Even went up when the bottom fell out of the market several years ago. Other than that, I do not follow the market.

I keep getting emails and Real Estate Companies trying to get past my Call Block to get me to sell our property. Why? Because we live in a secluded area where the few homes here have at least close to 2 acres of land. Yet, we are only minutes from almost any area of the city.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut With a wonderful piece of property like yours, they may start ringing your doorbell.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Tessa Mendoza wrote:

Prices in Calfornia have not stabilized and are still rising, at least in our area along the coast.  Home prices have always been very high here, but it has gotten ridiculous.  So tempting to sell our home and move on, but we just can't do it.  Can't think of where else we would like to live and we really love our town and home.  We could not afford a house here now.

@Tessa Mendoza, stay put and enjoy. We live along the coast as well and will do so as long as we can.:-)

@suzyQ3 

When Malibu drops, let me know!  😉 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Regular Contributor

Not at all.  I am in Northern California and the housing market has really become insane.  Part of the reason for the explosion are the folks leaving the San Francisco Bay area to other towns (as they can now work from home) and the folks moving up here from So. Cal. They are selling their homes for huge amounts of $$$ and are coming here and paying cash for homes.   Houses in my immediate area/neighborhood are all selling with multiple offers and are going for up to $70k over asking price.