Honored Contributor

Re: Archie Means 'Truly Brave'

Meghan looks radiant and Harry is beaming while holding his son, what a happy, happy time for the royal family. Maybe they will come up with a cute nickname for baby so he doesn’t have to called Archie.
Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I have noticed a lot of names in the UK are sort of old fashioned. It's fine with me. When I hear some of the stuff that comes out of Hollywood, I will take old fashioned any day of the week( Dweezil Moon unit etc)

I will bet a dollar to a donut, Archie will be a name that will be on the upswing now

I'm pretty sure it won't be.....LOL   No one would be so cruel as to saddle their son with that name.  It's a silly name that brings up images of the comic book to those of us who are old enough to remember that or Archie Bunker...LOL   It is possible that people under the age of 40 have never never heard of it.

famousbirthdays.com/names/archie.html

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

The meaning is lovely but unfortunately no one will be thinking about the meaning of the name after next week.  So much better to have a nice name than a nice meaning. Oh well, their baby.

And who is to decide what a "nice name" is??

@jonbonApparently any poster here. 

The baby will be who he is; identified by how he grows and what he will contribute as a man in this world.  The name will not change that fact.  At all.

All names have nice meanings, btw.

And as he grows into a fine young man, people will start to associate the name Archie with fine young men.

Honored Contributor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_Van_Winkle

Yes, a name for a brave young man.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would never name a child Archie when there are so many nice sounding names for boys to choose from. I guess it won't bother him though, small price to pay for all the fame, wealth and privilege that awaits him. Really cute baby.

Trusted Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I would never name a child Archie when there are so many nice sounding names for boys to choose from. I guess it won't bother him though, small price to pay for all the fame, wealth and privilege that awaits him. Really cute baby.

@blackhole99  You've summed this all up beautifully.

Super Contributor

Archibald means truly brave. Archie is a diminutive nickname that derives from Archibald, but in and of itself it doesn't mean anything.

My grandfather is English and his name is Archibald. He was called, "Arch" all of his life.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@blackhole99   Too bad they didn't ask you to name their baby.

A "small price to pay"?  The baby isn't a week old yet and already people are predicting doom and gloom in his future because his name is Archie.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

It wouldn't have mattered what she named the baby @Cakers3  Those that dislike Meghan would have picked it apart no matter what name she chose

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Meghan looks radiant and Harry is beaming while holding his son, what a happy, happy time for the royal family. Maybe they will come up with a cute nickname for baby so he doesn’t have to called Archie.

When he is older other children who are playing with him will shorten the name and call him, "Hey Arch, catch the ball."  Isn't that what they do here in America, always shortening people's names?

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam