Honored Contributor

Re: April the Giraffe

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

As often as they bred her, I'm not surprised.  They probably wore her out.  Didn't she recently have a calf?  Again. 

no, she didn't. 

@gidgetgh  Yes she did:  3/2019  That one died 2020.

@Kachina624 

@Mz iMac "recently" is recently. 2019 wasn't recently.  That was 2 years ago.  They do have another female there now who appears to be expecting.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Sweet face

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh  - April wasn't in the wild, she was in the confines of this park and had to shelter in a very small, but tall enclosure during the cold winter. 

Her human care takers were totally the only ones responsible for her care and if and when she should breed again at her mature age. Just because a vet oks it doesn't make it right.

I haven't been to the park, but I did notice some very negative comments about it from people who have been there.  I did not like the way they handled the whole thing with April, I admit that.  I'm not trying to be argumentative, it's the way I feel from the way they handled some things.  It's not just them, it's other similar places also.

But I did come to love April and am sad at her passing as so many are.  She was a good Mama to her sweet babies and am sorry that her life ended a bit early.

Honored Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness wrote:

@gidgetgh  - April wasn't in the wild, she was in the confines of this park and had to shelter in a very small, but tall enclosure during the cold winter. 

Her human care takers were totally the only ones responsible for her care and if and when she should breed again at her mature age. Just because a vet oks it doesn't make it right.

I haven't been to the park, but I did notice some very negative comments about it from people who have been there.  I did not like the way they handled the whole thing with April, I admit that.  I'm not trying to be argumentative, it's the way I feel from the way they handled some things.  It's not just them, it's other similar places also.

But I did come to love April and am sad at her passing as so many are.  She was a good Mama to her sweet babies and am sorry that her life ended a bit early.

@HerRoyaLioness - hi, just a quick comment.  I have been to AAP and both giraffe barn 1 where April originally was and giraffe barn 2 have very large stalls for the giraffes.   And both barns are heated. Varying temperatures according to the height of the barn.  Increasing temps the higher in the barn you go.  Very small stalls is not accurate at all.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, I have to reply because what you said, HerRoyaLioness. couldn't be further from the truth.

I have been to Animal Adventure Park, specifically to see April and her baby Tajiri. The park is spacious and not 'commercial' at all. It is very open and well kept. The displays are very visitor friendly all while giving the animals plenty of room to roam. Is it the wild? No. But in the wild, most of these animals, many of whom (including giraffes) are vulnerable or endangered, would never survive and reproduce successfully, and therefore the species could and very well might go extinct.

April and the other giraffes had spacious, modern enclosures as well as plenty of outdoor time and enrichment, what we would call playtime or recess. The owner and his staff could not care for these animals any more than they do. The park is gorgeous all while keeping in a very rural and natural setting.

It bothers me that people who just don't like the idea of captivity will put down a family run business, operated by people who care so much about wildlife that they would spend their entire lives seeing to it that the species continue for generations to come.

I am sure Animal Adventure Park would welcome anyone to come spend a day at their property. It is right outside Binghamton NY, about 45 minutes from Scranton PA, 3 hours from NYC and 4 hours from Long Island or Connecticut/Massachusetts.

April was very loved and she will be missed.

Trusted Contributor

my friend just told me.. heart breaking!! i watched her for must of been a month waiting for her to give birth.. so sad.... 

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh - only going by the stall size from what I saw on the videos

Honored Contributor

😢😭

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@lh8990  I never heard of the park.  Is it an animal theme park like Seaworld?  I assumed it was just another public zoo.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

@lh8990  I never heard of the park.  Is it an animal theme park like Seaworld?  I assumed it was just another public zoo.

@songbird - it is a small, privately owned animal park.  Around 300 animals or close to it.  It is small scale, but beautiful setting and the animals are well cared for.  It is a fun outing.  I have been once and follow the park closely. Not like Sea World or anything huge like that.