Honored Contributor

April 4-- A Sad Marker in American History

I just saw a plaintive picture tweeted by Bernice King.  Pictured as a little girl with her father, the Reverend Martin Luther King.  It was captioned simply---  "Missing You".

My apologies if a thread on this already exists-- I looked and did not find one.

April 4, 1968, the date of the assassination, was a tragic day for Americans, patriots, those laboring beside him in the struggle, for his fellow believing Christians, and greatly, for his bereft family.

Honored Contributor

Re: April 4-- A Sad Marker in American History

I thought about it this morning, think about him every April 4th.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

Amen.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I just saw a plaintive picture tweeted by Bernice King.  Pictured as a little girl with her father, the Reverend Martin Luther King.  It was captioned simply---  "Missing You".

My apologies if a thread on this already exists-- I looked and did not find one.

April 4, 1968, the date of the assassination, was a tragic day for Americans, patriots, those laboring beside him in the struggle, for his fellow believing Christians, and greatly, for his bereft family.

Woman Sad

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

MLK was a special man.His vision of bringing people together in a non violent way was an example that lives on.In a world full of violence & hate his words seem more meaningful today!! We need more calm & understanding & less judgement!!

Honored Contributor

I remember to this day everything about the day Dr. King died.

You know, I never cried when John Kennedy or Bobby Kennedy died; but when Dr. King died, I couldn't stop crying.  I always thought so highly of this man.  He was wonderful.  

His niece, Alveda King is often on FOX cable.  She's also amazing.  She's an independent thinker, just like he was.  He has wonderful memories of her Uncle and often talks about them.  I'm hoping she'll be on FOX tonight to reminisce about him.

I often think about what he'd think of some of the things going on today.  The minute people start talking about what Dr. King would or wouldn't do, I change the channel.  I don't think there is anyone alive who can speak FOR him.

He was an eloquent speaker who knew how to get his message across.  He cared about all people of every color and worked toward getting everyone to work together toward a common goal of peace and making this country better.

Trusted Contributor

Agree completely.   We need to hear his speeches again but would the violent protesters stop to hear him?   The extremes on both sides are listening only to themselves.

I live in a college town.  On any day you can see people with signs protesting/promoting their cause.   They shout and on very rare occasion a young person may jump out to stop a car as we take off from a traffic light.  In all my years I have never seen or heard of damage or violence here.   They get their 15 minutes of fame and those who truly care continue to carry on their crusade.   They have their time at local govt meetings. Sometimes they make changes but they are always heard.  Locals who could traveled to hear MLK speak.  He was gone much to soon.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Gram W wrote:

Agree completely.   We need to hear his speeches again but would the violent protesters stop to hear him?   The extremes on both sides are listening only to themselves.

I live in a college town.  On any day you can see people with signs protesting/promoting their cause.   They shout and on very rare occasion a young person may jump out to stop a car as we take off from a traffic light.  In all my years I have never seen or heard of damage or violence here.   They get their 15 minutes of fame and those who truly care continue to carry on their crusade.   They have their time at local govt meetings. Sometimes they make changes but they are always heard.  Locals who could traveled to hear MLK speak.  He was gone much to soon.

Where are the violent protests? 

Honored Contributor

You posters have such well-stated tributes.  Doesn't it seems like, sometimes in history, the exact right person appears to address a festering problem?  Others may have tried, and may have contributed greatly, but for whatever reason the momentum toward fulfillment may have faltered or stalled.

In Martin Luther King, you have an American combining preparation, courage, tenacity, level-headedness, faith, intellect, and a tremendous connection to people.  Suddenly all the elements for leadership are there. 

The loss to our society is incalculable when an individual like that is cut down;  yet he and others had been able to lay an enduring groundwork that couldn't be crumbled....