Esteemed Contributor

Re: Appropriate clothes for a Florida funeral

@chrystaltree wrote:

I would assume that you would wear the same thing you'd wear to a funeral in your own home town in the summer.  How would it differ in FL?  

The only difference in Florida would be - no coat, scarf, heavy jacket, etc.....  I would also eliminate the sandals, but that's also a personal choice.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would make travelers black pants or skirt and a travelers black or colored tank the base of the outfit and add a linen shirt, or light mesh or eyelet cardigan on top. You could add a large brooch or pin if you like. Black open toe shoes or sandals. The only shoes I would avoid are any flip flop style. At my FIL funeral there, people wore literally everything, so don’t stress about it. Wear whatever you feel comfortable in. 

Honored Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I would assume that you would wear the same thing you'd wear to a funeral in your own home town in the summer.  How would it differ in FL?  

The only difference in Florida would be - no coat, scarf, heavy jacket, etc.....  I would also eliminate the sandals, but that's also a personal choice.....

I'm in MA and we don't wear coats, scarves, boots, heavy jackets etc on an 85 degree day in the middle of July...LOL    It shouldn't matter if you are in FL or NO or CA.   You'd dress for the weather.  I don't get the sandal thing.  Women wear sandals to church everywhere so why wouldn't someone wear sandals to funeral if she wanted to?   

Esteemed Contributor

I would not wear heels or open toed shoes if you are going to the cemetary.  Most of them do not have great lawns and are difficult to walk/stand on for very long.

Respected Contributor

I would wear slack, a skirt and a blouse. No bright colors, Navy or even taupe is nice. I think a dress sandal is fine. Just don't wear beach sandals. 

Esteemed Contributor

@LucilleD wrote:

Help with what to wear to a Florida funeral. What is appropriate to wear to a FL funeral?  Visitation at the church in the evening on a Fri and Sat service, burial at cemetery, then lunch at the church. I will be standing in receiving line both days. Are nice sandals or open toe shoes ok? What about nice slacks or pant suit? I assume the color should be subdued like navy or gray. Is black ok maybe just for slacks? There will be a large attendance & I don’t want to offend anyone. Any suggestions on comfortable shoes or clothes on the Q from the major designers? Thank you so much. I know the Q community is very knowledgeable!

Just curious?  Why would you question wearing open toes shoes or sandals?  Tradition?  

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@sophiamarie wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm in MA and we don't wear coats, scarves, boots, heavy jackets etc on an 85 degree day in the middle of July...LOL    It shouldn't matter if you are in FL or NO or CA.   You'd dress for the weather.  I don't get the sandal thing.  Women wear sandals to church everywhere so why wouldn't someone wear sandals to funeral if she wanted to?   

Gee, thanks for clearing that up for me.  Since I don't go to church "everywhere", I don't know if women wear sandals or not - the choice is up to the person....

Respected Contributor

i suggested no sandals not because they are not appropriate but because they are not suitable for wearing to a cemetery. Too many fire ant beds. If you don't want to get stung wear any type of closed shoe. if you don't mind dodging  ant beds wear sandals.

Honored Contributor

It's hot & humid here so dress "lightly"...and be comfortable.  

sorry for your loss 🙏🏻