Regular Visitor

Appropriate clothes for a Florida funeral

Help with what to wear to a Florida funeral. What is appropriate to wear to a FL funeral?  Visitation at the church in the evening on a Fri and Sat service, burial at cemetery, then lunch at the church. I will be standing in receiving line both days. Are nice sandals or open toe shoes ok? What about nice slacks or pant suit? I assume the color should be subdued like navy or gray. Is black ok maybe just for slacks? There will be a large attendance & I don’t want to offend anyone. Any suggestions on comfortable shoes or clothes on the Q from the major designers? Thank you so much. I know the Q community is very knowledgeable!

Respected Contributor

Re: Appropriate clothes for a Florida funeral

@LucilleD  I live in SC, and see all kinds of clothes at funerals...even among the family members! 

I think a nice pair of slacks or a pantsuit in a subdued color (or black if you prefer) would be just fine. Nice sandals or open toe shoes would be appropriate, too...at least where I live.

When my dear mother passed away in 2009, I wore a dusty purple skirt suit, with black pumps (it was winter), and felt perfectly appropriately dressed. These days, I don't even own a skirt, so black slacks would be my go to, no matter the season.

Not to sound morbid, but my dad is 87, and not in the best of health. I have in my closet a Susan Graver black-with-neutral-print chiffon cardigan with tank set that I would wear with very nice black slacks, and dressy black sandals if necessary this summer. Of course, I'm not saving it for that...I also wear it to work and church!

Honored Contributor

I don't think it matters so much as it used to.  Just like when I was growing up slacks would never be worn to church and now I wear them occasionally.  Some people even wear jeans to church.  It's more about the thought.  So, that being said, I would wear pretty much anything I would be comfortable wearing to church.  For both of my parent's funerals I wore a dress.  I went to a funeral a few weeks ago for a friend from church and I wore nice pants.  The person in front of me in line at the funeral had on jeans and apologized to one of the grown daughters about his appearance, but had to come from work and had to go back afterwards.  She was quite fine with it and said "You know Mama wouldn't care about that."

Respected Contributor

@LucilleD This time of year Florida is pretty hot and humid. I wouldn't wear a pantsuit in the daytime. Nice pair of slacks and blouse are fine if you don't want to wear a dress. No for sandals or open toe shoes to the cemetery too many fire ant beds and I have even seen snakes. Most people don't feel the need to wear black to funeral. I've seen all colors and prints. Unless this is a an extremely formal event don't worry. Florida is pretty casual in the warm months. Check the weather for extended weather forecast.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Make sure you wear something very cool for the cemetery burial. It’s stifling hot here (high eighties) now and we have been having heavy afternoon storms. We had a high of 92 today.  It’s very humid. Keep your warmer fabrics for somewhere else. For the church service ,dress as you would for any other place. You can wear spring or summer weight clothing indoors but you will perspire from your car until you get indoors. There will be air conditioning on. I’d avoid spike heels for anyplace that is grassy or you will sink right into the soil. Subdued colors are always best. Black is fine but it’s not mandatory. Navy, dark gray, black or any other subdued colors are good. No bright colors such as hot pink for example. Sandals and open toed shoes are fine here as long as this does not violate the religious practice of the family. I’d wear comfortable dress shoes for the church, ; a dressy sandal would be fine. We wear them year round. I’d probably wear dress flats or low heeled shoes for the cemetery. You will be hot so prepare yourself. 

Super Contributor

I just got back from N. Florida funeral 2 weeks ago.  All the womens worn sleeveless or short sleeve dresses, all or most all in black.  I worn black slacks and a short sleeve top.  I felt over dressed, it was 90 degrees.  the men worn suits, tie and all.  Inside the church was air conditioned.  

Honored Contributor

A lightweight dress with open toe shoes would be fine this time of year. 

Respected Contributor

If your in a receiving line ( as u stated), I would be a bit
more dressed up. Are u in the immediate family? I’m assuming you’ll be accepting many people into the wake then. I would do a dress, skirt, or if u have to go w/dressy dark color pant and blouse.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would assume that you would wear the same thing you'd wear to a funeral in your own home town in the summer.  How would it differ in FL?  

Honored Contributor

I don't wear dresses or fancy clothes. I wore a pair of navy cotton pants with a navy/black cotton/rayon top with sandals in the summer & shoes in the winter. They wear blue jeans to funerals around here. 

I don't do funerals for the most part but had to go to my FIL's & my dad's in the past couple of years. I'm not going to any more funerals. I don't like them. We are both going to be cremated with no viewing, no service or funeral of any type.