Super Contributor

Appliance (electric range) brand ratings question

Just over 4 years ago I bought all new whirlpool kitchen appliances. So far the microwave had to be replaced and the electric range has failed 3 times. This time we are getting rid of it and buyiing another brand.

What brands work better? We are considering a GE, Samsung or Frigidaire, in that order.

We checked consumer reports and I have read online reviews.

As with any review there are the ones who love the item and those that say stay far away.

What works for you? At least longer than 4 years!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Appliance (electric range) brand ratings question

I have had superb longevity and satisfaction with every Frigidaire appliance I own. My range is the best one I’ve ever had, though I owned a Tappan that lasted 18 years. My Frigidaire range provides reliable, even heat both stovetop and oven, has useful but notbfancy features, and is made nicely, no flaws. Highly recommend a Frigidaire range. I also own two Frigidaire air conditioners that get real workouts in summer and have kept going for many years. 

I have a GE dishwasher that is a quiet, efficient machine. As I live alone, it does not get use much more than once a week, but I’ve had it for years and it’s great. Also easy to clean its filter, so no need for service calls with a minimum of attention to ordinary maintenance by me. 

Honored Contributor

We had builder installed GE appliances in our home in NV.  All were still working when we sold it 16 years later.

Our current condo also has GE appliances which are almost 7 years old and except for the fact I hate the side by side refrigerator, they're all working fine.

Respected Contributor

I know they don't make them like they used too, but I have a GE microwave and stove. Both are about 24 years old. Good luck finding what you want.

Super Contributor

The frigidaire model looks the best to me and is the least expensive!

Valued Contributor

My GE has been trouble free for years.

Respected Contributor

After 20 years, my electric oven had to be replaced.  I chose to replace my refrigerator as the same time rather than waiting for it to die.  I found that Lowe's or Home Depot have the best sales on appliances starting in mid November through December.

I chose Samsung as the replacement brand.  For my oven, I chose a Samsung slide in range which means it has NO back panel but fits flush to the back wall and extends slightly over the counter top.  It looks custom and has a very clean look to it.  I have used it for 5 years without a single complaint.  It is self cleaning and has a convection oven as well not that that was necessary for me but nice to have.  It was about $ 900.00 which is a little on the high side for some people but I loved the look of it and am very pleased with it's operation.

I purchased a Samsung French door, freezer on the bottom refrigerator as well.  I am delighted with it.  The amount of room in the interior is wonderful and I appreciate having the freezer on the bottom.  The freezer holds far more, I think, than my previous top freezer. I did not opt to get any of the extras on the outside like ice dispenser, water, etc.  What I do appreciate since I have a well, the ice maker comes with a water filter which makes a big difference for me. You change it every six months and it is very easy to do.  You unscrew it, pop in a new one and you are good to go.  The filter is about $ 30.00 for two on Amazon.

It's, always, a personal choice.

Super Contributor

that Samsung might be the very one I am considering. I too have a slide in range.

Thanks for the reviews.

My DH seems to be stuck on using the reviews of consumer report. I say that is only 

one source.

Respected Contributor

@petepetey   Besides how well it works, it's gorgeous looking!  Not that it matters to your hubby but it will to you!

Trusted Contributor

All of the name brands have many products in different quality ranges.  I have mentioned this on other threads - all of our purchases are made from a locally owned appliance store NOT a big box store.  They offer us 3 products from the major brands in what they call Good, Better, Best.  Its what you are willing to pay for.

We purcahsed Whirlpool washer and dryer from Lowe's in less than 5 years one of them had to be replaced.  We went to our local appliance store purchased the washer and dryer in the same price/quality category as what we purchased from Lowe's and they are going strong after 10 years.

We have a gas Fridgidaire stove which we love and have also had more than 10 years.  Purchased from the local appliance store.  Parents purchased what looked to be the same model stove in electric version from Big Box store and had nothing but problems with it.  

I realize many of you may not believe but where you purchase really does matter with the quality of your appliance.