Honored Contributor

Apple launches iOS 8 for iPhone & iPad with third-party keyboards, widgets, Continuity & more

"The iOS 8.0 update can be accessed through the Settings application, under General and then Software Update. iOS 8 is compatible with the iPhone 4s and newer, iPad 2 and newer, all iPad mini models, and the fifth-generation iPod touch.

Apple's hotly anticipated free iOS 8 update for iPhone and iPad is now available to download, giving users access to a wide range of new features including third-party keyboard support, Notification Center widgets, extensions, Hey Siri hands-free voice activation, and much more.

The iOS 8.0 update can be accessed through the Settings application, under General and then Software Update. [or by connecting to iTunes on your computer]. iOS 8 is compatible with the iPhone 4s and newer, iPad 2 and newer, all iPad mini models, and the fifth-generation iPod touch ..."

Go to this link for details on this major update:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/17/apple-launches-ios-8-for-iphone-ipad-with-third-party-key...

Associated info:

How to Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Most important: First be sure Back up your device to iCloud or iTunes.

Remainder of step-by-step instructions at: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4623

If you use a Mac:

PSA: Do not upgrade to iCloud Drive during iOS 8 installation

Note: My iPad installation via WiFi, start to finish, took about 1 1/2 hours.

I did notice it automatically turned Bluetooth on.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Re: Apple launches iOS 8 for iPhone & iPad with third-party keyboards, widgets, Continuity & more

Now there are reports of the software update servers being unavailable. They usually have to do this to handle all the folks trying to update at the same time. Just keep trying, and you'll be able to get a connection.

Happy updating!

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Re: Apple launches iOS 8 for iPhone & iPad with third-party keyboards, widgets, Continuity & more

My iPhone 5 update (connected to iTunes on computer instead of downloading via WiFi) only took 20 minutes, start to finish. More info and discussion in the thread in Electronics Talk:

Apple launches iOS 8 for iPhone & iPad with third-party keyboards, widgets, Continuity & more

And now I'll stop talking to myself ... {#emotions_dlg.blushing}{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Have a great day, everyone!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor

I tried to add some security to my Apple products, now my cloud isn't working. I don't know what I did wrong.{#emotions_dlg.blink}

I'm going to wait a while before I download 8, I need to figure out what I did wrong. I can't wait to get my new phone. I just can't decide if I want 6 or 6P.