Honored Contributor

Apparently I am the Kiss of Death

Referring to discontinued products.  It seems every time I find something I actually like, it gets discontinued.  Lately, it's been Sobe Lifewater, Kellog's Raisin Bran w/Cranberries, and Haagen-Dazs Spirits Irish Cream Cookie Squares.  Well, the Haagen-Dazs just seems to be a local thing since I see they still have it on their website, and at least I can just add dried cranberries to my Raisin Bran.  Lean Cusine is also changing their line and my favorite Chicken Marsala & Risotto apparenlty isn't healthy enough so they changed it to Chicken Marsala and vegetables.  No thanks.

Today I went into Ulta to pick up some hair care products, and they weren't there.  Looked at Ulta online and no luck.  Then I checked their websites and, nope, discontinued.

I was telling my husband just today how companies should just hire me to find out what not to bother making.  I could save them all kinds of money in production costs.  

Luckily, I found both products still available on the Walmart website, so I ordered a large bottle of conditioner and 3 bottles of the anti-frizz spray, so at least I have plenty of time to try to find something else I might like.

And, can you believe it?  There's also a run on greenhouses?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Apparently I am the Kiss of Death

You could offer your services to a marketing firm as an anti focus group. "Uh oh Ms. @Icegoddess loves the new test cereal, back to the drawing board!" Woman Wink

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

Had similar experiences over the yrs . My friend and I usually joke because the same has happened to her as we usually like the same things. Even my bakery stopped making my favorite pastry because  of the cost of almond paste .

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

You could offer your services to a marketing firm as an anti focus group. "Uh oh Ms. @Icegoddess loves the new test cereal, back to the drawing board!" Woman Wink

That's exactly what I need to do.

Esteemed Contributor

I thought I was the on,y one this happened too! It's so frustrating. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@godi  @Icegoddess That makes 3 of us because it happens to me too. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess this stuff happens all the time.  Companies looking to squeeze out more profit change our products all the time.  Cosmetics in paticular, though I must admit I was stunned to see at my Walgreens a couple of week ago the face powder my grandmother favored by Coty, in the same packaging I remember from the 1970s.  There must be some old fans somewhere.

57175074-DF2B-4F94-9871-7A9561CFDECD.jpeg

I have a Ben & Jerry flavor I really like (cinnamon buns), and it is always hard to find, The only place I used to find it periodically was aconvenience store.  I hadn't seen it in many, many months, and thought it was finally done.  I was at the store on Tuesday afternoon, and miraculously, oh, joy, there were 3 pints.  I bought 2 of them, saving them in my freezer to comfort me on tough days...

409774EA-1357-436E-B6C8-A3BC2CBD9142.jpeg

Respected Contributor

I use Coty face powder and could not find it in any stores.

I had to order it online. I am also surprised that it is still available and in almost the identical container.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess  you and I both are the kiss of death as far as products we love.  I think it also coincides with getting older and using the same loved products for YEARS.   VERY FRUSTRATING,

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are certain things I love at Wegmans.  But they have a habit of discontinuing something that is popular for a long time, in order to try something new.  I loved their Cranberry Bread (which they baked every morning) now no longer available because cranberry season is over.  Another  salad I loved is gone too.  We have salads all year long, but Wegman has to drop one product and bring a new one in.