Esteemed Contributor

Re: Appalachia: Poverty Is A Carcinogen

Personally, I didn't care for the article.

Aside from the obvious propaganda, it promotes the stereotype of KY people as ignorant, poor, and uneducated.

Honored Contributor

NoelSeven wrote:

The article is very clear about tobacco use as the major problem.

I guess you missed the part of the article about coal mining. It starts here:

"Then there’s a problem unique to Appalachia that might be driving up cancer rates in the region: coal mining."

Yes, lung cancer and mesothelioma come to mind.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

"Then there’s a problem unique to Appalachia that might be driving up cancer rates in the region: coal mining."

It "might be".  I guess you skipped over the part about the importance of tobacco use as a factor.  There are several reasons given, it's not all about coal mining, nor does it suggest we should shut down coal mines as you have implied.  IMO the agenda is not from the article.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because its a controversial topic that is becoming political.

Esteemed Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

It "might be".  I guess you skipped over the part about the importance of tobacco use as a factor.  There are several reasons given, it's not all about coal mining, nor does it suggest we should shut down coal mines as you have implied.  IMO the agenda is not from the article.

I hardly skipped over tobacco use as a factor.

I mentioned it, myself.

That's how propaganda is done. Hidden and tucked away in statements that are already known to be true.

And the current administration's anti-coal mine stance is well-known.

I am aware of the ANTI-COAL mine stance of this administration.   Some Native American tribes make their livlihood off the coal mines (Montana - Crow tribe).  When some just spout out Environment, they are actually hurting people they don't know anything about. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

LR, there's already a post taken down because of political remarks.

I really wish you would not do the same thing, it will take down this line.

This line is about cancer and the poor, not politics.

Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

LR, there's already a post taken down because of political remarks.

I really wish you would not do the same thing, it will take down this line.

This line is about cancer and the poor, not politics.

I don't think one viewpoint should be allowed to dominate the board.

I advise all interested parties to research whatever is posted here.

Honored Contributor

I grew up in southern Indiana, my dad, grandad, and many others were coal miners,proud people, very dangerous work, it was a way to make more income, Kentucky always has been poor in that reigon, they have their own ways, they are country people,DO NOT LOOK DOWN YOUR NOSE AT THEM.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I grew up in southern Indiana, my dad, grandad, and many others were coal miners,proud people, very dangerous work, it was a way to make more income, Kentucky always has been poor in that reigon, they have their own ways, they are country people,DO NOT LOOK DOWN YOUR NOSE AT THEM.

I agree with you.  I will never understand those who look down on people who are poor, and who suggest they could get out of their situaliton if they only tried.

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't read where someone posted they were looking down on others.  I know from others that people there just don't seem to find taking charge of their circumstances (as well as responsiblity), and applying the help that is offered, is often ignored.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust