QVC Customer Care

Re: Appalachia: Poverty Is A Carcinogen

This post has been removed by QVC because comments in the post could be perceived as controversial

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Anyone remember the Rory Kennedy documentary years ago, I think it was called American Hollow. Really worth watching.
Honored Contributor

MJ, I don't remember hearing about that documentary.  I'll look into it.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@NUNYA wrote:

I remember watching a program, it may have been on PBS. It was about the huge meth problem in the Appalachians. It showcased other things too, unemployment, poverty etc. It was just really eye opening to see in our country.

The pockets of distribution and production I think I heard are the highest in the nation, or close to it........

Honored Contributor

youtube has the complete documentary by Rory Kennedy (daughter of Bobby) on the issues in Appalachia: "American Hallow."

Yet another source for reporting on the issue some think has not been reported.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qTjfABqsQs

Honored Contributor

I can recall it, in fact, several of us here have pointed out PBS documentaries reporting the poor in Appalachia.  One PBS report highlighted the fact that the new healthcare was being denied them by the state at that time, I don't know if that's changed or not.  I hope it has.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

PBS is great and everything, but I was referring to the major news networks, to stars who have public clout and the money to pull things off.  The large, rich and vocal corporations that could easily pick up the tab for public service announcements that would reach the majority of the public.  As I said, PBS is a great station but not everyone can get it, not everyone sees it.  Angelina going to Cambodia to pick out a child... everybody has seen her do that!!!   (And immensely admirable.... but, if she were to go to the Appalachias I would guarantee it would make every talking head on every news channel and bring wanted attention to the poverty there.).....  Just sayin'..... Woman Frustrated   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Q4U, I certainly don't disagree with you that public figures would help a lot.

At least one of the Kennedys has done her part Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I thinkk there have been problems there for quite a while.  I know that the miners have issues with their health and the children are addicted to Mountain Dew soft drinks. 

I think some hard hitting education is needed for the folks there - diet, nutrition, personal hygiene, and tidy clean surroundings on their properties. 

I just can't see cancer as a 'poverty issue' though.  It's a disease that hits every socio-economic level and educational level. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

Re:

"I just can't see cancer as a 'poverty issue' though.  It's a disease that hits every socio-economic level and educational level."

Hi LR, the article points out several variables where poverty increases the risk of cancer, and also reports that "Cancer rates are frequently higher where poverty is most concentrated, and eastern Kentucky is a case in point."

The lack of sufficient education is another variable.

Poverty increases numerous health risks for people in America.  You might remember reports that came out a few months ago about poor children in the inner cities becoming very ill for life from lead paint where they lived and rented in poor areas. 

Trusted Contributor

The people from this region need education and healthcare. We need to start with the children. It will take many many years to see improvement....but it can be done IF our government takes on the challenge....probably it will be something like the Bill Gates Foundation that will have to start ..... Our government seems to have swept this part of America under the rug. Out of sight, out of mind.