Honored Contributor

Re: Appalachia: Poverty Is A Carcinogen

MGM, thanks for that information!  That's a great idea, some of the smaller clusters of population aren't that easy to get to, you're right.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Are you sitting, TG. We're In total agreement. Brad Pitt and Angelina concentrate their good works in New Orleans. The country music industry should step forward.
Respected Contributor

I think the very wealthy hasn't stepped in because they think people live there voluntarily. Coal mining is hazardous to ones heath whether someone works in a mine or not.  The problem is people are too poor to leave and no one is volunteering to assist them with relocating.  Meanwhile, we are so generous to immigrants.   It is unfair to those whose parents and grandparents were born there and each generation just has to succumb to the same fate.   

Honored Contributor

I'm reading a novel series about the hills of W VA. Meth seems to be overtaken by RX drug abuse.
Honored Contributor

tansy, I remember the part of the PBS report that went into the meth use there.  Bad skin and teeth, awful.

Do you know how they're getting script drugs?  Illegally or what?

Valued Contributor

By "Mountain Dew" did they mean pop or shine?

Honored Contributor

Soda, garmer.  It's literally an addiction there according to the PBS report.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]
Now HERE is where Donald Trump with all his professed BILLIONS bragged about ....could make a real difference in the world....

Wake up Mr. Trump! It is not too late to make a difference in your life that would also be life changing for poor Americans swept under the carpet and forgot about like trash.

You might have people respect you rather than laugh at you if you used your years left on this planet to put your money where your mouth is and help poor hungry, sick, and under educated Americans here in America.
Honored Contributor

These states have been killing themselves for years.  It's out there for the world to know, but their so called leaders do nothing about it.  Money is given and used to keep the perfect ideal up front.  Truth is ignored and pushed aside.  These people have needed help for years, but they get none and have no clue how to ask for it.  This is the hidden America ... Yep, let's go save others while our own are living like this.  Sorry, I'm having a moment of ... PLEASE, take care of our people!  Young, old, disabled, and the ones trying to find a better life on this precious soil.  We were built for a reason ... please continue the reason and grow from it ... not destroy it.  It starts at home.  Please protect our home .... our men and women do it  every day!

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Valued Contributor

Thanks, Noel. I guess it's better than booze. I've known of parents who have done that (alcohol), to "help" the baby sleep. :-(