Honored Contributor

Re: Appalachia: Poverty Is A Carcinogen

OK, then. I don't know why you brought it up in a response to me, but OK.
A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:
OK, then. I don't know why you brought it up in a response to me, but OK.

Life is what you make of it.  You can be happy or not, based on the way you choose to live your life.

If you neither agree with nor understand that, let's just leave it there.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I disagree. I will use Anne Frank as a determining example. Then there are children in parts of the world with swollen bellies from starvation who live nowhere near civilization. Or young women sold into sex trafficking. Too many examples to list.
Trusted Contributor

Every family I know has been touched by Cancer.You do not have to be poor.

I really was clueless about mountain people untile I watched a TV show and listened to Dolly Pardon talk about her upbringing. Very private proud people.But really need to have more education. 

I grew up around N.Americans,they would mix jello powder/water  in bottles. They figured if it said fruit  on the box it was the same as fruit juice.

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:
Are you sitting, TG. We're In total agreement. Brad Pitt and Angelina concentrate their good works in New Orleans. The country music industry should step forward.

LOL.  I think if we keep the Left and Right out of our discussions, we'd probably realize that we agree on a lot of things! :-)

The country music folks would be a natural fit to bring awareness to Appalachia, as it's right in their backyard.  We should start a writing campaign and put the bug in their ear.  Many of them probably give privately, but we need public fundraisers, TV specials, etc. to bring their plight to the rest of the country.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

"The country music folks would be a natural fit to bring awareness to Appalachia, as it's right in their backyard."

ITA, TG!!!  Great idea Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

This is an anti-coal mining propaganda article.

People in KY have cancer because tobacco has always been a big cash crop here, and people smoke.

KY and West Virginia both need the jobs that coal mining brings.

We need to use our own resources instead of being dependent on foreign suppliers.

Honored Contributor

The article is very clear about tobacco use as the major problem.

Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

The article is very clear about tobacco use as the major problem.

I guess you missed the part of the article about coal mining. It starts here:

"Then there’s a problem unique to Appalachia that might be driving up cancer rates in the region: coal mining."

Honored Contributor

What an important thread!  I feel educated by the posts written here.  Of course, I saw "Deliverance," and there have been some "comedies" on TV about "mountain folk" that most people find hilarious (and I have never watched).  However, nothing that would actually educate, as it seems PBS has done, about this hidden culture in our country.  I (we) know it's there, but it's not something we think about.  

I rather imagine both things are true . . . that they are ignored by society, AND that they don't want to change their values to ours. 

Reading the experiences some of you have had made me feel as though I was watching a movie.  It's both fascinating and educational, as I said. 

Thank you for sharing with us.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986