Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone written a QVC tell all?

@sunshine45 wrote:

you may also want to check out the book SHOPLANDIA.

i believe that steve bryant is in the process of writing a book about his experiences at qvc. he often posts about them on his facebook page.

Awesome! Thanks. 

Honored Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

I should clarify that Sellevision is more about the personal dynamics behind the scenes than it is about the business side. It is not going to tell you how/where they buy/source things, salaries, director’s notes, etc. It is not a business book, it is a fast juicy read. It may not meet your needs after all.

I am interested in both sides, the business and the personal. I really enjoyed the book on Apple creator, Steve Jobs. It was about how he started the company, what he did to make it become the huge company it now is; but it also touched on his personal life and the ups and downs he went thru, and the personality conflicts. I felt it gave a complete and balanced look at his life and his company.

That's what I would like to know about QVC. How it started, how it grew, how they make the decisions they make; but also, what it takes to become a host/model, what it is like to do their job, the challenges they incur, and some of the personal stuff too, like pesonality conflicts, etc.  A rounded look at all things QVC. Smiley Happy

Still think I would like to read Sellevision. Thanks for your input.

Trusted Contributor

You may enjoy reading up on Barry Diller…he has lead a very busy and interesting life! Check Amazon, there are several books on him. He headed QVC back when it turned the corner from being hokey TV to a major force in shopping. After he left QVC, he later went to HSN and took a number of key vendors with him. He had hoped to join QVC & HSN together into one BIG shopping venue. He started the FOX network, ran Paramount and a number of other really big name businesses….just to name a few things he has accomplished. He is married to Diann Von Furstenberg, the fashion designer. He has lead a fascinating life. It should be a good read of a very interesting life in big business.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

You may enjoy reading up on Barry Diller…he has lead a very busy and interesting life! Check Amazon, there are several books on him. He headed QVC back when it turned the corner from being hokey TV to a major force in shopping. After he left QVC, he later went to HSN and took a number of key vendors with him. He had hoped to join QVC & HSN together into one BIG shopping venue. He started the FOX network, ran Paramount and a number of other really big name businesses….just to name a few things he has accomplished. He is married to Diann Von Furstenberg, the fashion designer. He has lead a fascinating life. It should be a good read of a very interesting life in big business.

WOW! Sounds like that would be a good read too! Thank you. 

Esteemed Contributor

I would NEVER be interested in any of it. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

Not a book, but I remember enjoying this 1995 Chicago Tribune article about Kathy Levine:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1995-12-12/features/9512120143_1_qvc-sweaters-marshall-field

Trusted Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I would NEVER be interested in any of it. 

Me either.

Valued Contributor

I think reading behind the scenes stories can be interesting but the problem is finding an author who's unbiased.