Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone withdrawling cash "just in case"?

YES!  I always try to have some cash stashed away in the house and it's one of the first things me and my husband did when things started getting bad.  I remember finding cash "hidden" around in my Grandmother's house.  I thought what a crazy thing to do, later in years my mother explained to me why.  She obviously didn't hide it that well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

People are behaving as if we are living in an apocalypse, like in Mad Max.

Yep, everyday another horror is gonna hit us. Corona,  run on toliet paper, wild wasps, meat shortage , chicken shortage,  now, banks will be closed.  Ain't life grand .

Esteemed Contributor

@JasoninBoston wrote:

I do keep an emergency bag of ducuments that does have a large amount of cash in it ($2500).

Friday the fire alarm in my large downtown Boston apartment complex went off and I grabbed the bag, my computer and put on my face mask and made my way down the lobby.  I kept thinking if I had to go to a hotel (if one was even open that I could get into) I really had many essentials.

I did have a relative that passed away several years ago that kept a large amount of gold bars under her bed!  While I thought that was a bit extreme then, I reminded that to my mom recently as something to consider!!

I don't want to freak out but I do think it's wise to have an emergency stash with all our essential documents--that we can access quickly!! Especially if my apt building caught on fire and I couldn't return!!

Thankfully the alarm I had in my place Friday was a false one---so I just put the bag back in its special hiding place!!

HeartHeartHeart

My husband has been telling me for a while now we need to have an emergency bag packed. I honestly haven't taken him serious, but I do think it would be a good idea. Isn't gonna hurt anything, and it won't hurt anything to withdraw some more cash out of the bank either. It would be better to be safe than sorry. 

Honored Contributor

Nope.  I don't trust one word that's written in the New York Times, including the words "and" and "the."

Honored Contributor

Yes.

Honored Contributor

Checked with my husband who said he heard about that and everything was taken care of. Safe here also.

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Every financial advisor worth their salt, would strongly advise against withdrawing money, and causing a run in the banks.

As I said, every account is federally protected up to $250,000 by the FDIC.

And my father was a child of the Depression too.

Financial advisors often have an interest in your being fully invested in products on

which they get a commission.

FDIC insurance is of no help to you if you need cash in an emergency.  Its purpose is to protect against loss from, for example, a close-down of the power grid, theft or mishandling by the bank, or cyber attacks.

And it's just silly to compare panic-induced runs on banks with the common-sense decision to keep extra cash on hand for emergencies -- especially for one the likes of which we've never seen before.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot Well, considering I have a licensed gun in the house, I know what I would be tempted to do. Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

Guess I'm in the minority with no weapon.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot 

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I see nothing wrong with releasing prisoners who did not commit violent crime and who are near the end of their sentence.

They weren't sentenced to death.

I have wondered about the prisoners being released because they have the virus. It seems if they are in cells alone, that is the best protection; better than going outside in the real world. Are the prisoners who are being released ones who share a cell with a bunch of other prisoners? Otherwise, I would think they are safer inside. Just wondering. Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere what the amount of prisoners in a cell is.