Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone withdrawling cash "just in case"?

[ Edited ]

I always have a little brown (fire proof of course) bag.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

Whatcha gon do when the desperado shows up at your door with a gun demanding your cash?

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

People are behaving as if we are living in an apocalypse, like in Mad Max.

I don't see anyone behaving like that.  If there are people like that they're only a few nuts.

It is not a good idea to withdrawal all of your money or keep thousands in cash in your home, but it is prudent to have enough cash on hand for emergencies should they happen.

Esteemed Contributor

I usually keep a small amount of money in the house. 

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Every financial advisor worth their salt, would strongly advise against withdrawing money, and causing a run in the banks. As I said, every account is federally protected up to $250,000 by the FDIC. And my father was a child of the Depression too.

@Anonymous032819 Exactly! Totally agree. That's all we need is for people to get scared and make a run for their money and put the banks in jeopardy! Having some cash on hand seems prudent, but to withdraw all the money as some people I've heard suggest would cause a major problem.

Actually, I guess the same could be said for the toilet paper and paper towels. If everyone would have just purchased what they normally bought BEFORE the coronavirus, there would not have been any shortages. Panic creates more problems in the end.

Although, I must say, I never understood why there was a TP shortage. Sure, people are home more than at the office, schools, or in retail stores shopping, so they are using more toilet paper in the house. However, there should not have been a shortage because businesses and schools that closed didn't need any now, hotels needed less, airplanes needed less, etc. It seems the amount that was being produced before should have been enough not to have a shortage in the grocery stores to purchase, to my way of thinking.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Whatcha gon do when the desperado shows up at your door with a gun demanding your cash?

Well, i'd rather give him cash than take a trip to the ATM with him, but most likely he would be carried out on a stretcher to the county morgue.

We stash more than cash in our home.

Honored Contributor

I live in California. Need I say more? We learned that it's essential to keep cash for anything that would knock out power and water -- a.k.a. an earthquake. Stores could take only cash.

Even just in general, though, it's a good idea. But taking a large amount out of the banking system? No.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Well, i'd rather give him cash than take a trip to the ATM with him, but most likely he would be carried out on a stretcher to the county morgue.

We stash more than cash in our home.

@Carmie 

I'm assuming the ATMs wouldn't be working.

But hey, you go, tough girl!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, I'm not pulling money out but I do have my Christmas money in my house. I put away $100 a month and by December I have $1200. I don't just use it all for gifts, I buy the car tags for my car and son's truck and I also use the money to purchase everything I need for the meals for Thanksgiving and Christmas. By doing this I don't have to use my CC's or stress about added bills to my already limited budget. 

Honored Contributor

We don't use cash like people did in the depression days. 

I usually keep about $80 cash in my wallet.  I haven't used any of it in the last two months