Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone watching The Tour de France?

I was away from home this weekend (got results on the internet) but am watching again tonight. Omigosh, I am stunned by the most recent exit. I figured this year was going to be his for the taking, especially after some of the other exits.

He's never been my favorite rider, but I'm still kind of upset. What is going on? People are dropping like flies.

To be fair, the weather does look pretty nasty today (again). For goodness sakes!

What a crazy, crazy tour this year. I can't believe all the big names that are out now. I keep saying "brutual" and that's exactly what it has been.

Honored Contributor

Linders: Rest Day....that makes me giggle! I don't remember the weather being so bad in years past. Maybe this will be a way to have a pseudo unknown rank highly this year...just another way of bringing in the New Guard.

Super Contributor

On 7/14/2014 sidsmom said:

Linders: Rest Day....that makes me giggle! I don't remember the weather being so bad in years past. Maybe this will be a way to have a pseudo unknown rank highly this year...just another way of bringing in the New Guard.

I love how tomorrow, the rest day, many of the riders will go out for a "little" 2 -3 hour ride just for fun and to keep on their toes.

And then we they keep saying "wait til we get to the mountains". {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Wish Andy Schleck was still in it. He wasn't back up to his best form yet this year, but now after today, he might have had a chance to shine. Maybe his brother will have a good day in the mountains later this week.

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/14/2014 Linders Back said:
On 7/14/2014 sidsmom said:

I love how tomorrow, the rest day, many of the riders will go out for a "little" 2 -3 hour ride just for fun and to keep on their toes.

And then we they keep saying "wait til we get to the mountains". {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Wish Andy Schleck was still in it. He wasn't back up to his best form yet this year, but now after today, he might have had a chance to shine. Maybe his brother will have a good day in the mountains later this week.

This is what hubby was just saying. I hope so too.

Like you both said above, this year can certainly give some of those young, eager unknowns who also work pretty hard a chance too.

It will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

A little 2-3 hour ride, LOL. I took a 45 minute ride tonight after work and I am half dead. I really don't know how they do it, day after day.

I just love the Tour.

Frequent Contributor

You guys are kindred spirits. I am also very disappointed we have no Andy Schleck, my personal favorite. Has anyone interviewed Jens Voigt this tour? I wish there was more face time with the cyclists -- before they crash for crying out loud -- but it may not be in the broadcast budget I suppose. That is, If the cyclists would agree to it but maybe they are camera shy LOL.
Super Contributor

On 7/14/2014 Moon Child said: You guys are kindred spirits. I am also very disappointed we have no Andy Schleck, my personal favorite. Has anyone interviewed Jens Voigt this tour? I wish there was more face time with the cyclists -- before they crash for crying out loud -- but it may not be in the broadcast budget I suppose. That is, If the cyclists would agree to it but maybe they are camera shy LOL.

Watch the recap show tonight. Maybe they will replay parts with Jens. He got a lot of face time in the one stage where he lead for so long. As oldest on the tour, he interviewed his team mate (name slips my mind .. he's since abandoned .. ) who was the youngest on the tour. He also spent time in the booth with the guys after one of the stages (doing his Dr. Evil imitation). He has such a great sense of humor. I love that guy. Such an upbeat spirit. I think he has a future in broadcasting after his career ends (this year?)

Another who gives a great interview is Chris Horner. Those "old guys" Wink have a lot of insight and wisdom to impart.

Speaking of personalities: did you see Peter Sagan after yesterday's stage? After that grueling trip, he was still able to cross the finish line (on an 18 degree grade upward) doing wheelies. Amazing!

Esteemed Contributor

I saw Sagan do that, too cool. Very impressive. I'm definitely watching the recap tonight since I had to miss the Tour this past weekend.

All the commentators are very good, but I just LOVE listening to Phil Liggett's running commentary (love his British accent) and then seeing Bob Roll in the studio.

These guys know so much about cycling and how it really is to be out there. I am so glad they are there year after year. It would not be the same without either of them. It's like seeing old friends.

Super Contributor

Becki, I so agree with you about the commentators. They are all good, but Phil and Paul are so comfortable together and although they get excited, they aren't over the top loud and crazy.

I think the addition this year of Christian Vande Velde is wonderful. He is so knowledgeable and works well with Bobbke. To say nothing about how easy he is on the eyes. Smile I ca't remember who he is replacing from last year, just know Todd is also new and replaced Chris Hummer who was also very good. I think all the reporters are better than most sports commentators.

Get a good night's sleep, it's into the mountains tomorrow (I think).

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/15/2014 Linders Back said:

Becki, I so agree with you about the commentators. They are all good, but Phil and Paul are so comfortable together and although they get excited, they aren't over the top loud and crazy.

I think the addition this year of Christian Vande Velde is wonderful. He is so knowledgeable and works well with Bobbke. To say nothing about how easy he is on the eyes. Smile I ca't remember who he is replacing from last year, just know Todd is also new and replaced Chris Hummer who was also very good. I think all the reporters are better than most sports commentators.

Get a good night's sleep, it's into the mountains tomorrow (I think).

You got that right, LOL. {#emotions_dlg.wub} Plus, he does a very good job.

Hubby and I just watched the recap show. We really enjoyed it. The segments showing the many crashes was a bit sobering. These guys have really had it rough this year. We are glad they are getting back to the action tomorrow.

Esteemed Contributor

No spoilers. Pretty good mountain climb stage tonight. I was kind of hoping for a different finish, but the person who took the stage win certainly deserved it, no doubt about that.