Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone watching Coke 400 at Daytona? Crash already

@Reba055 wrote:
Big pile up on lap 4. I've never seen a major race start so late. Wonder how the fatigue will play out. And how long the fans can hang, lol.

I DVR'd the race and just finished watching it. I've participated and also been a fan of auto racing for many decades now. Have been to many Nascar Cup races and watched hundreds of them.

I have never seen a wreck like the one seen in this race. If you have not seen it, watch a sports network as I am sure this will be shown many times over.

These drivers are athletes and most of them are very physically and mentally fit. They have to be to spend 3 hours in a race car running bumper to bumper at over 200mph

The drivers will be just fine, and as a fan, I would rather stay up all night than have to come back tonthe track the next day for the race. Most Nascar fans that attend these races are a tough breed and losing some sleep will not bother them a bit.

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

I was awake when it started, fell asleep, and woke up with 17 to go.  After the crash, Jimmie Johnson and Dale Jr. both thought the driver had been killed - they didn't know which car had hit the catchfence, but they knew it was a bad one.  Joie Chitwood must think the track is snake-bit this year, first with Kyle and now with Austin.  But they will fix it and be safer next year. 

Respected Contributor

I saw the wreck around 3 am. It was awful. Austin was fortunate to have walked away okay. Hope the fans who were injured are okay.