Respected Contributor

Anyone watching Coke 400 at Daytona? Crash already

Big pile up on lap 4. I've never seen a major race start so late. Wonder how the fatigue will play out. And how long the fans can hang, lol.
Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone watching Coke 400 at Daytona? Crash already

I know!! I would have thought they would wait until tomorrow! I called myparents to let them know the race was starting! LOL. I flipped it overto watch the local news!
Esteemed Contributor

I heard them say they don't like to reschedule major races.
Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

That's true but nothing like running around the track at 200 mph for a long race that started at midnight! I know it's been a long day. Lots of hoopla surrounds the races in Daytona. I know I'm not going to make it, lol.
Respected Contributor

This has to be the latest theyve ever started a race. Did they shiw anything before 11? Did the announcers just keep talking during the rain delay? Crazy!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
Yeah, and they replayed some pre race footage they had already aired earlier. I live north of Daytona ( about 45 mins) and the forecast was for early rain then clearing in time for the race. Once it settled into a slow steady drizzle I knew they were in trouble. Unless I missed something the forecasters really missed the mark on that one :-)
Actually I'm well over an hour north but I have made it to Daytona in 45 mins, lol, though I shouldn't say that. Boy I'm tired and getting goofy tonight.
Respected Contributor

There are going to be some sleepy people in the office tomorrow!

Im calling it a night. Enjoy the race!
Respected Contributor

My Husband was waiting and waiting for the race to finally start.  He finally went to bed.  I was concerned for the drivers as it started so late.  I would think that fatigue would be a big issue.  I hope all make it through OK.  

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Super Contributor

This race has Always been run on Saturday night....Why did they race on Sunday??
Esteemed Contributor

@KayinMN wrote:
This race has Always been run on Saturday night....Why did they race on Sunday??

I'd venture to say because Saturday was a national holiday and viewership would be way down.

It wouldn't surprise me if many of the drivers caught a few zzzzs in their haulers or mobiles.  They're used to getting hung up in weather, especially when races are on the east coast or in the south.

Am glad for the ticket holders that they did get the race in, because it's the end of a long holiday weekend.  Now all the folks can go home without having to spend more $$ for an additional day and missing a day or more of work.