Honored Contributor

Anyone watching CBS This Morning? (Sunday)

I just sobbed my way through the story they did of the son taking care of his elderly mother. Sobbed. I thought it was beautiful. Did anyone else see it?

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone watching CBS This Morning? (Sunday)

I record this show every Sunday so I can skip the segments I'm not interested in seeing.  I look forward to this one -- thank you for the heads up!

Respected Contributor

What a loving son!  I feel good knowing that when my mother was dying, I was at her side and was at the hospital throughout her long stay.  My children, when they find out I need assistance, will probably put a pair of cement boots on me and throw me in the local lake. 

I just visited a dear friend of mine who recently found out she will never go home again and is now confined to a nursing home.  I cried when I saw the tiny room she shared with another woman, knowing that this is what life comes to.  She has fostered dozens of children and not one of them have come to her aid.  My friend and I took her two greyhounds up to visit her, she was sad to see that they had already bonded with my friend who now is taking care of them, the dogs barely noticed her.  The visit has haunted me - just so sad. 

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I just sobbed my way through the story they did of the son taking care of his elderly mother. Sobbed. I thought it was beautiful. Did anyone else see it?

@gidgetgh - The book he wrote "Bettyville" is only $4.98 on Amazon and has great reviews.  I think I would enjoy it as it is just as much about his return to his home town.  I'm ordering it today.  I returned to my home state and think I would relate to that.   

Honored Contributor

I can't watch things like that no matter how beautiful...just have enough trouble keeping sadness away as it is.

Honored Contributor

The first thing I said to my husband while watching that was I would go to a nursing home rather than have my son take care of me. To take away his life to care for me would be one of the worst things that could possibly happen to me.

Although a loving thing for a son to do, it would be incredibly selfish of me to expect that any of my children would have to stop their life, move home and care for me. I have made provisions that it would never happen. I want my children to remember me as I was not someone sick.

Esteemed Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

What a loving son!  I feel good knowing that when my mother was dying, I was at her side and was at the hospital throughout her long stay.  My children, when they find out I need assistance, will probably put a pair of cement boots on me and throw me in the local lake. 

I just visited a dear friend of mine who recently found out she will never go home again and is now confined to a nursing home.  I cried when I saw the tiny room she shared with another woman, knowing that this is what life comes to.  She has fostered dozens of children and not one of them have come to her aid.  My friend and I took her two greyhounds up to visit her, she was sad to see that they had already bonded with my friend who now is taking care of them, the dogs barely noticed her.  The visit has haunted me - just so sad. 

Yes, I figure my kids will want to pull that plug!!

Nursing homes are heartbreaking.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

The first thing I said to my husband while watching that was I would go to a nursing home rather than have my son take care of me. To take away his life to care for me would be one of the worst things that could possibly happen to me.

Although a loving thing for a son to do, it would be incredibly selfish of me to expect that any of my children would have to stop their life, move home and care for me. I have made provisions that it would never happen. I want my children to remember me as I was not someone sick.

@Trinity11 - I think that you missed this man really WANTED to do this for his mother - they had such a lovely relationship.  I think it changed his life in a good way - being gay and moving back to a small town was a difficult thing for him to do, but he stayed in that town after his mother died.  I think he made these choices for him as much as he did his mother.  I know he must feel so good that he gave his mother such a wonderful last few years of her life, not sticking her in a nursing home which would have been an easy thing to do. 

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal- exactly!

what made the story so beautiful for me and made me cry was HIS journey. His mother was secondary to be honest. 

We moved my dad to assisted living after a stroke last August and we just finished clearing out and selling the home he and my mom had for 33 years.  It's all been extremely hard. My sister and I are in the same town as my dad so we're all here, but we moved my dad to be close to my husband and me as my sister works full time and I'm not working right now, partly because of my dad and husband's health issues. 

Some of what he said really hit home with me. When he said that he'd feared this his whole life....only child....and would he be able to handle the responsibility. I understand that completely. I have my husband and sister of course but I never had children so his care has been the most responsibility of that type that I've ever had.  It weighs on me, wondering if we have him in the right place, am I doing enough, etc., but you just try to do your best every day. 

He didn't think of his mom as a burden at all. It was just a really beautiful story and such a journey for him. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Trinity11 - I think that you missed this man really WANTED to do this for his mother - they had such a lovely relationship.  I think it changed his life in a good way - being gay and moving back to a small town was a difficult thing for him to do, but he stayed in that town after his mother died.  I think he made these choices for him as much as he did his mother.  I know he must feel so good that he gave his mother such a wonderful last few years of her life, not sticking her in a nursing home which would have been an easy thing to do. 

I didn't miss anything. I have a son who would gladly do the same. The difference is I would never want him to give up his life to play nursemaid to me. I think that would be an act of selfishness on my part.

And often times from my experience I have seen similar situations only for the person years later to be very embittered. I would never risk that and surely would not die peacefully knowing that my son had given up so much to need to care for me rather than living his own life.