Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone watch Dateline Tonight 5/16?

That tape was damning. I do think the prior break-in testimony should have been allowed.
Honored Contributor

On 5/16/2014 tansy said: That tape was damning. I do think the prior break-in testimony should have been allowed.

I felt that he was honest to a fault. He could have destroyed the tapes, he didn't. He didn't have to tell the police he shot her again when he discovered she was still alive.

He saw the intruders as vermin, wouldn't anyone who had been continually victimized?

The prosecution side veered from the facts. The dead duo were criminals who repeatedly broke into a senior citizen's home and stole money, guns, and valuable family heirlooms. There is no question that the two broke into his home and he had every right to defend himself and his property. Whether he was glad or sad that he killed them has nothing to do with it.

Honored Contributor

On 5/16/2014 Kalli said:

I think the guy definitely has mental problems and I can see the argument that he premeditated the act. It also seems he had almost a sick satisfaction at seeing them suffer and die.

I would have a difficult time finding him guilty. That probably surprises you after what I said above. But I work very hard for what I have. If my home were burglarized more than once, I'd be VERY bitter. And I'd want the people to pay. I couldn't do what he did, but I can understand that some people would.

I also feel the teens were to blame for their own demise. If they'd never victimized the guy, they wouldn't have been killed. I am surprised it wasn't a hung jury.

-Kalli

I was surprised it wasn't hung too. That verdict should be overturned because the judge didn't allow the fact that he had every reason to believe they had guns since they had stolen guns from his home when they had broken in before.

Respected Contributor

On 5/16/2014 occasional rain said:

I felt that he was honest to a fault. He could have destroyed the tapes, he didn't. He didn't have to tell the police he shot her again when he discovered she was still alive.

He saw the intruders as vermin, wouldn't anyone who had been continually victimized?

The prosecution side veered from the facts. The dead duo were criminals who repeatedly broke into a senior citizen's home and stole money, guns, and valuable family heirlooms. There is no question that the two broke into his home and he had every right to defend himself and his property. Whether he was glad or sad that he killed them has nothing to do with it.

I sympathize with him. The police weren't protecting him so he protected himself.

He lost control. The history of the case should count for something.

Trusted Contributor

A rainstorm interrupted and I missed the ending. I assume he was found guilty?

Jamma

Respected Contributor

On 5/16/2014 tansy said: That tape was damning. I do think the prior break-in testimony should have been allowed.

I agree with both statements. The testimony of the previous break-in should have been allowed, but the audio tape of Smith was very damning. The audio tape recorded Smith practicing what he would say to an attorney, among other things. The way it was shown last night, it was recorded before the break-in even occurred that day. Smith also waited an entire day to notify a neighbor, who then called the police - not Smith. I can only imagine what else was on the audio tape that Dateline stated they would not air, due to how disturbing it was. They did air a brief part of Hailey saying, "Oh, no!" I'm not so sure Smith volunteered the audio tape to the police - I think he could have forgotten about it in his mental state, and the police found it on their own. The recorder was found on the bookshelf in the basement. The audio tape was 6 hours of recording. Why even create an audio tape?

He "set up" his own home to appear that he was out of town for the holiday. I agree with the prosecutors that it was to tempt burglars to his home. He moved his car several blocks away, with the excuse he was cleaning out his garage. Why wouldn't he move the car back to his home, after cleaning the garage? Why not leave the car in the driveway to begin with?

He shot Hailey 6 times (once in the eye), and Nicholas 3 times. He told police he gave Hailey a "clean finishing shot" or something very similar to that. In the audio tape, Smith also called Hailey a "bi*ch," and muttered other things. I realize the anger and paranoia Smith showed on the tape doesn't necessarily prove he premeditated the murders (I do think some of his other actions showed premeditation, though), but it does show a disturbed mental state. I think Smith had a right to shoot Nicholas and Hailey, but not to continue shooting after they were down, and no longer a threat.

eta: Also, Hailey entered the home several minutes after Nicholas had entered and had been shot by Smith. I think Smith was waiting for her. Smith saw both Nicholas and Hailey via the surveillance equipment he had installed in his home. He had time to telephone the police, yet didn't.

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

On 5/17/2014 JAMMA said:

Jamma

Yes, guilty of first degree murder with premeditation. He was sentenced to life without parole.

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Esteemed Contributor

I was very disappointed that he was found guilty. I was also disappointed at the poor journalism by dateline to paint a sympathetic picture of burglars. They both deserved to be shot.
Honored Contributor

On 5/17/2014 i like celery said:
On 5/17/2014 JAMMA said:

Jamma

Yes, guilty of first degree murder with premeditation. He was sentenced to life without parole.

Finally, JUSTICE!!!!

Honored Contributor

On 5/17/2014 Goldengate8361 said: I was very disappointed that he was found guilty. I was also disappointed at the poor journalism by dateline to paint a sympathetic picture of burglars. They both deserved to be shot.

No one deserves to be shot to death, unless they are about to kill you.

This man was a heartless, premeditated fiend.

FINALLY someone gets justice from these shoot first vigilantes!!!!