Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone watch Dateline Tonight 5/16?

On 5/18/2014 Dagna said:
On 5/18/2014 scotttie said:
On 5/18/2014 Ford1224 said:
On 5/16/2014 occasional rain said:
On 5/16/2014 Kalli said:

I think the guy definitely has mental problems and I can see the argument that he premeditated the act. It also seems he had almost a sick satisfaction at seeing them suffer and die.

I would have a difficult time finding him guilty. That probably surprises you after what I said above. But I work very hard for what I have. If my home were burglarized more than once, I'd be VERY bitter. And I'd want the people to pay. I couldn't do what he did, but I can understand that some people would.

I also feel the teens were to blame for their own demise. If they'd never victimized the guy, they wouldn't have been killed. I am surprised it wasn't a hung jury.

-Kalli

I was surprised it wasn't hung too. That verdict should be overturned because the judge didn't allow the fact that he had every reason to believe they had guns since they had stolen guns from his home when they had broken in before.

He had a gun at the ready. They didn't know he was there and they weren't armed. A sane person would have held them at gunpoint and dialed 911. He had set them up.

There are no "good guys" here, as is often the case. But, IMO, he enjoyed the killing and deserved to be found guilty.

I'm not defending his shooting them over and over. But they could have gotten the gun away from him and killed HIM if he had acted as you suggest.

You take your victims as you find them. You break into a sadistic person's house and you pay the price.

Dagna, I agree. They made a choice to enter his house and they paid the ultimate price. Police found stolen stuff (meds?) from another home in his car. I think on appeal Byron's argument will be that their victimizing of him (police now think it's very possible they were the thieves who stole from him the first time) caused him to go nuts. Temp insanity or something like that.

My elderly uncle was repeatedly victimized when he lived by himself. The perps were folks who knew when he received his money each month. They'd brazenly knock on the door and when he'd open it they'd push past him, go right to where he kept his money and take it all as he pleaded for them to stop and leave him alone. This went on for months. He called the police and they couldn't do anything because the thieves were always gone by the time they arrived. My uncle was beginning to be forgetful and kept putting his money in the same place each month and kept being victimized each month. When my parents found out they brought him home to live with them. I wish I could have been there when those low-lifes came back to get their monthly stash and found out the well was dry!

-Kalli

Honored Contributor

On 5/16/2014 newziesuzie said:

Just starting to read but here's one link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_David_Smith_killings

Thanks suzie, I hadn't heard of the case. Wow!

Valued Contributor

On 5/17/2014 Goldengate8361 said: I was very disappointed that he was found guilty. I was also disappointed at the poor journalism by dateline to paint a sympathetic picture of burglars. They both deserved to be shot.

ITA A person should be able to feel safe in his/her own home. If anyone breaks into our home, my husband will shoot first and ask questions later. No sympathy for those two. Hopefully he will be exonerated on appeal.