Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone use Walmart Savings Catcher?

@Black Pony. Yes, I did use it but will discontinue after the program ends.  The new format seems confusing to me...do you scan your receipt via your smart phone (which I do not have).....the original way was so simple for me, I just would manually type my register number in when I got home using my Macbook air......

Honored Contributor

I used to but then it just wasn't worth it.  First, I just don't shop in WM all that often anymore.  Second, stores in my area know competitor pricing so if one store puts something on sale, WM lowers its price to match the other stores' sales prices.  I deleted the app. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

You do not scan your receipt.  When you go to check out you will scan the credit card swipe terminal.  Look and see on the screen a QR code symbol  appears while the checker is doing your groceries.  You open the walmart app, click on services at the bottom, open Walmart pay, enter your pin and then you will see the camera turn on  your phone.  click a pic of the QR code on the card swipe terminal and you will see your name appear and it will say "connected".  AFter the transaction is complete, click submit on your phone and you are done. 

I have also done this in the self check area.  The computer screen displays the QR code at the beginning of the check out. So you open up your app and scan it first, then submit it afterwards.  

Now I fear if you wait to try this after you check out, it might be too late.  Someone here on this forum may know how to submit a receipt the new way post check out, but I don't know.  

Honored Contributor

@Black Pony..do I need a smart phone?

Frequent Contributor

Yes, you need to be able to load the Walmart app onto your phone.

Respected Contributor

Important Changes to Savings Catcher: Starting October 29, 2018, Walmart Pay will be the exclusive way to submit your receipt to Savings Catcher. The ability to scan paper receipts within the app or submit via desktop will be discontinued.

This is now on the site. 

Honored Contributor

I haven't experienced any issues with the Walmart app, crossing my fingers.

Super Contributor

@Black Pony wrote:

You do not scan your receipt.  When you go to check out you will scan the credit card swipe terminal.  Look and see on the screen a QR code symbol  appears while the checker is doing your groceries.  You open the walmart app, click on services at the bottom, open Walmart pay, enter your pin and then you will see the camera turn on  your phone.  click a pic of the QR code on the card swipe terminal and you will see your name appear and it will say "connected".  AFter the transaction is complete, click submit on your phone and you are done. 

I have also done this in the self check area.  The computer screen displays the QR code at the beginning of the check out. So you open up your app and scan it first, then submit it afterwards.  

Now I fear if you wait to try this after you check out, it might be too late.  Someone here on this forum may know how to submit a receipt the new way post check out, but I don't know.  

@Black Pony does this mean you cannot use cash when paying??

Frequent Contributor

You can pay any way you wish.  I am just using the Walmart pay feature of the Walmart app to upload my receipt.  I actually have never used the Walmart pay to "pay" for my groceries.  I just swipe the debit card and pay that way. The advantage is no receipts are necessary.  The disadvantage I see is you have to connect with Walmart pay before the transaction, so if you forget, you just forget.

Now when I set up Walmart pay app I  forgot to deselect my ecard so when I checked out with walmart pay it used up my ecard balance.  I didn't want that so I went in the app and changed it for the next time.  I do not have any credit or debit cards loaded into my app at all.  I just swipe and pay at check out.  So far so good.  My only complaint is that it is taking a very long time for my savings catcher receipts to get processed.  I don't know what is up with that!  

I have been doing savings catcher a long time, years maybe,  and have saved over $1000.