Super Contributor

Anyone use Walmart Savings Catcher?

As often as I shop at Walmart I tried the savings catcher app thing. It worked at first but then it messed my phone up big time so I got rid of the app. Now I just am too lazy to go on their site and put the information in from the receipt lol.

Does anyone use this savings catcher?

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone use Walmart Savings Catcher?

@OhioAngel-

Well thats creepy-how did it mess up your phone?

i just read today that they are going to be changing the savings catcher and no longer be able to enter it wth computer, onlly at checkout with our phone, if I read that right.

To scan in receipts and get credit it will all be done thru Walmart Pay (intead of Walmart savings catcher or "scan receipt").

This might simplify it instead of wondering which one you should use at checkout.

Or something like that.

If you use it, you should get an email about it all soon.

A lot of the cashiers don't know how to use it either. I'm sure no one taught them how.

Now it will be changed again.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Frequent Contributor

Hi..I use mine every week.  You just have to scan the square box

on your phone using the Wal Mart app.  Go to the bottom of the app where is says services and you will see Saving's catcher listed.   Most of the time it takes but once in a while it

won't be able to scan so it tells you to type in the number and date.  I just received an email this morning from Wal Mart saying that as of Oct 29 they are changing the savings catcher to where you have to set up Wal Mart wallet or pay (I forgot which one it was) to use your savings catcher.  I'm not sure about this but I guess I will have to do this since right now I have around $84.00 or so and I sure don't want to lose it.  I ususally use mine around Christmas to buy gifts for my grandsons.  

Spoiler

Frequent Contributor

I have used it for quite some time.  I save a few dollars on it every week.  You mostly save on sodas because drinks are nearly always on sale somewhere so you get the difference back.  All i do is open the app,  and find the savings catcher feature and scan my receipts. Piece of cake!

Honored Contributor

@DianeFL-

I may be wrong, but I think if you already have what you described on your phone, you already had set up Walmart Pay.I remember to get the app you had to set that up.

From what I understand, Walmart Pay does not mean you have to pay with an app or anything else, it is also used for the savings catcher plan thing and from Oct 29 on you will just click Walmart Pay under "services" to record receipt and get credit, instead of clicking savings plan or even scan receipt.

At checkout, we'll only need to click Walmart Pay and record receipt or Walmart Pay to get credit at checkout.

Maybe it will simplify it even more.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

About the only thing I buy at Walmart is my epsom salts, once in awhile cosmetics, and a bit of fresh produce (I never buy sodas).  Would it be worth it to set up Walmart pay for so few items? If it slows down the phone....just not worth it.

Valued Contributor

Yes, I've been using it for several years now and have probably savings a couple of hundred dollars.  Unfortunately, they are changing how you can redeem and you'll have to do everything on the app.  I'm not much of an app person, but I"ll give it a try.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes it messed up my phone. It caused it to constantly freeze up and go slow, totally crashed it!  and so I had to start all over and reset my phone. Like you do when you first get one and set  it up. Have not had any issues since not putting the walmart app back on!!Smiley Surprised

One of my friends had gotten about $15 worth of savings added up to use on a purchase online from the savings catcher. When she ordered online and the savings didnt go onto the order it was lost for good. She tried calling and they were of no help at all. Like they didnt believe her when she told them what happened. So she said she was upset and never used it again!

Super Contributor

I have used it since they started it which I think was about 3 years ago. I have saved $225 in that time.  I still go into the site and type in the receipt number and date, and use a printed copy of the bar code that I printed on my printer, but it sounds like I won't be able to do that anymore. I know back in February they talked about the changes but I just kept doing it the old way.  I don't like the idea of using an app and my phone either, so I think I will stop using it on Oct. 29. I cashed it in frequently, usually when I got up to about $5.00 I would use it the next time I went there.  I agree about the cashiers not always knowing how to do it. Many times I explained it to them. So many businesses have their own kind of rewards programs now.  It is like a full time job just keeping track of all the rewards, points, perks, etc!

Honored Contributor

That's not good to hear about the phone freezing!

I don't like to do apps either unless its the only access to something I really need or want but I did it for this.

I "cash it in" everytime.

I'll keep using it because I think its worth it to me, unless I start seeing phone problems too! But I've also read, too many apps will certainly slow our phones down. I also don't like things to get too complicated.

I do think its worth it everytime you go. They even compare prices with sales from the Dollar Store!

Of course, it won't compare prices with the Walmart brand-"Great Value" brands because no other stores carry the Walmart brand.