Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone stuck in an elevator?

Yes, it was well over 100 degrees. It was in my Apartment house. 

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I’ve never known a Walmart to be mutli-storied to have

an elevator for customer use. 

Sounds like this was a service elevator used by

the staff members only...to move shipments, etc.

There is a multi level Walmart not far from where I live. Escalator and elevator. 

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

I was alone--

@halfpint1...I admire your tenacity and wanting to keep yourself active. It is truly admirable that you like to get some exercise daily... 

Honored Contributor

Our company built a new office building that was 38 floors. I worked on the 34th floor. When we first started working there you took your chances using the elevators.

The elevators rarely had the doors open flush with the floor. Most of the time you had to climb about 3 feet to get out of the elevator. It got to the point that it became a joke. Would the doors open at the floor you wanted. Or would the doors open that you could at least crawl out onto the floor. Sometimes the doors opened to cement walls.

I am so glad I was in my 20s. I was in good shape and agile. I was taking ballet classes. So I could crawl or jump out of the elevator generally with no trouble.

Esteemed Contributor

I worked for the Army while my husband was at a school in the same 6 story building.

My elevator was full of ladies who worked there and we were on the 6th floor. We went down a floor and stopped. 

After an hour or so waiting for help one of our husbands got in the adjoining elevator and stopped it next to us. 

He opened the side emergency door and walked out on two metal girders. Then we opened our door. 

He said “Come on girls, I’m here to rescue you! “ 

His wife went first, then I followed (in high heels on a 6” girder).

Once in the other elevator my husband was there and I went right into his arms.

They took turns helping people across and we all went home. Emergency crews never came while we escaped. 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@halfpint1 wrote:

I was alone--

@halfpint1...I admire your tenacity and wanting to keep yourself active. It is truly admirable that you like to get some exercise daily... 

Same here!  @halfpint1 makes  the effort to go out every day, exercise, interact with others.  This is what every person is advised to do, as they age.  

My earlier post is gone, likely because the post I quoted is gone.  I do think this poster and her son are doing the best they can at this point in time, and no one should be judging them. 

Esteemed Contributor

My son does not live with me.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I’ve never known a Walmart to be mutli-storied to have

an elevator for customer use. 

Sounds like this was a service elevator used by

the staff members only...to move shipments, etc.

@sidsmom- I've been to the Walmart halfpint is speaking of and it definitely has two floors.  In fact, the Walmart in my community has three floors with escalators and elevators.

Esteemed Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

is in West Covina,CA and used by  ever yone.. come see.

I've been to that store.  I work in El Monte.  @halfpint1 

Esteemed Contributor

Omg, I was almost having a panic attack just reading all of the stuck in elevator stories! That's my worst nightmare (and getting stuck in an MRI machine). 

I've already walked 5 flights of stairs with a bad back while huffing and puffing to avoid an elevator! Now its 4 flights, if its higher than that (which is rare) I take the elevator. Otherwise it's steps for me. I rest on each flight due to pain. That's how much I hate elevators! lol.

PS also hate MRI machines and I have to go in one every other year due to spine issues. I take one nerve pill to do it! I also do not like being put to sleep for surgery. I am very claustrophobic. But I'm not afraid of heights if that counts? lol. (My husband hates heights)

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles