Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone still mailing out Christmas cards?

Yes I do.  This year I sent out a bunch 40 plus, because we moved and have a new address. One thing that was very coincidental was when I was writing out a friend's card (I always send a letter with each one individually) she called!! She's in another state!  I got all the cards and letters which I typed on word pad so could print them, works great, out on the day after Thanksgiving!  I'm not usually this early, but wanted to because of our new address.  And I love hearing from everyone, too!

Esteemed Contributor

I only send out approximately 10 cards via the USPS .... I call my family & friends or send ecards to others 🎅🏻🤶

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have cards from years past, since our list got smaller over the years.  It's nice to get mail that isn't a bill.  There's so many things that have fallen by the side in the last year, that this year, I want to send.  Not only that, I have many that need to go out of state.  I don't do those newsletters.  I imagine all that could come in this year, will sound similar. LOL

Honored Contributor

I do Christmas cards still.  Normally, I would already have them filled out and sent out but I am late this year!  I don't buy expensive cards except for just a couple people.  You can find really cute cards and inexpensive ones in the dollar stores.  Postage is expensive, that's for sure.  I have drastically cut down my list.  Each year I send less and less.  Once I have sent a card to someone for several years and get no reply at all, then I finally remove them.  I figure, they must not care if they hear from me so what's the point?  I will keep sending cards as long as I am able.  I enjoy sending and receiving.  For me, it's just part of the holiday fun! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I like to send and to receive cards.  Many less this year.

I always give people  a year or two to send a card back and if they dont, I stop sending to them, except there are a few I send to knowing they dont send.

If I get from someone I didnt send to, then I send a card.

I started addressing a few so far this weekend. Woman Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes!!! I send out Christmas cards with a family picture every year.  I already have my cards thanks to the card store having a B1G1 sale and I picked out my Christmas stamps. Now, just waiting to take family pics and the cards will go out.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm going to, just haven't yet.   Used to send out about 30.  Now only about 10 to people I want to write notes to.  (bad grammar!)   Anyway, I think, I hope, some people still appreciate a personal touch and handwritten note.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

I normally do under 10 a year and plan on doing them again this year.  Our church has individual mailboxes and we have a Christmas card exchange every year.  However, since our services just went back to online starting Sunday, I doubt we'll be doing it this year as I think we'll be closed for several weeks (probably months) again.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, absolutely! Why not? An e-card is not a real Christmas card to me. It cannot be put on a mantle or looked at otherwise. So many people don't want to be bothered sending them, which I feel is a shame and a lost art. 

Respected Contributor

@caroln242 wrote:

I haven't mailed out Christmas cards in years.  It's not so much the money (although I am rather frugal), it just became way too laborious.  I pared it down to just giving cards to my immediate family along with their presents, but I stopped doing that as well.  Buying cards specific for each person...daughter, grandson, granddaughter, etc., got to be pricey.  I was seeing about $42.00 go into the trash. People open cards, read them, throw them away.  Why spend $5.00 or $6.00 on a card that's read once and goes in the trash when all they're interested in is opening the present?  I'd rather add the cost of the card to the present.

Sorry if I come across as cheap, but Christmas has become so expensive since I went on Social Security.  Not a whole lot of disposable income.

@caroln242  I quit sending cards years ago for that very reason...they mostly just go in the trash. Of course, I also quit buying most gifts years ago, also! It just got to be too expensive and too stressful, trying to pick out gifts for people I only saw once or twice a year.