Super Contributor

Anyone still mailing out Christmas cards?

I haven't mailed out Christmas cards in years.  It's not so much the money (although I am rather frugal), it just became way too laborious.  I pared it down to just giving cards to my immediate family along with their presents, but I stopped doing that as well.  Buying cards specific for each person...daughter, grandson, granddaughter, etc., got to be pricey.  I was seeing about $42.00 go into the trash. People open cards, read them, throw them away.  Why spend $5.00 or $6.00 on a card that's read once and goes in the trash when all they're interested in is opening the present?  I'd rather add the cost of the card to the present.

Sorry if I come across as cheap, but Christmas has become so expensive since I went on Social Security.  Not a whole lot of disposable income.

Man plans. God laughs.
Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone still mailing out Christmas cards?

I do.  I like the entire process.  From picking out the cards to dropping them in the mailbox.  Even if they end up in the trash perhaps I helped someone smile.  

Honored Contributor

Yes, we send cards. We do not buy individual ones. Just bought a box of Lang cards for this year. We don't send many. 

Honored Contributor

I will mail cards to about 30 people I have not felt safe physically visiting with this year.  

Honored Contributor

I send cards if I want to write a quick note.

Trusted Contributor

@caroln242 

I totally see your point ~ I waffle about this every year, and every year I end up sending them out.  It is getting more and more costly : (

We actually create our own cards through the computer at WalMart, so they aren't too expensive.  

Was debating recently and decided that at the end of 2020 I need to "reach out" to those in my life.  It's been an isolating time for us all and a card might lift some spirits : )

I guess I am a creature of habit ~ Happy Holidays to you and yoursHeart

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I still send cards every year.  I tend to buy cards from Macy's after the holidays when they are 3 to 5 dollars for a box of 16 or 18.  That way, I just have to buy the stamps the next year.  I often buy the stamps from the post office for the next year if I like the Christmas motifs offered by the post office that year.  I send about 30 cards each year and I find that by planning ahead it doesn't cost much at all.  

I enjoy sending and receiving cards. To me, a Christmas email or e-card just isn't the same.  I also like to use cards I receive as a part of my Christmas decorations around the house.  I also hope they bring some smiles to the recipient.  This year, I think we all could use an extra smile or two.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Absolutely!  I make my own.  They're all made, addressed and stamp, waiting for me to take them to the post office.  I love sending cards (and, of course, receiving them!).

Honored Contributor

no I stopped that years ago--just threw them out and think they are a huge waste---except I do save my SIL cards as she is a big card maker and they are always lovely

Frequent Contributor

Just an FYI for those not aware, Hallmark cards are available at Dollar Tree for a buck each. Some of them are only 50 cents. They are the exact same Hallmark cards sold everywhere!