Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone still accessing the Mellyg Proboards?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion to what is offensive to them. There is no reason for others to tell them they can't be offended. It's none of their business. 

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

That whole thread started dirty and ended dirty. Racially charged topics are a bad idea in both forums.

When people share their unpopular opinions on the topic of race, it's very offensive to most people. Most people do not want to read anti-Black sentiments or racial stereotyping. Doesn't matter whether it's done using coded terms or stated overtly.

So there's a popular side to racially charged topics that most feel comfortable with, and an unpopular side that most people don't want to be associated with. There are two sides, but one is not considered socially acceptable in American society.

That's just how it is. Some topics with two sides have a clearly wrong and justifiably unpopular position.

For example, there are people who think it's okay to harm their pets. That's an unpopular opinion. If someone demands their right to say that people should beat their dogs, they may have an opportunity to do so. But they don't have any right to demand that everyone else coddle them or treat their views as normal and anything other than abhorrent.

@Porcelain  But too many posters read racism as motives for a post where absolutely none exists, and continue to make accusations of it purposely to get a thread shut down. And they close their eyes to any  explanation from a poster why the poster's comment has nothing at all to do with race. Example : criticism of Meghan Markle for her bahavior (and of  Harry too!) which has nothing to do with race. People just refuse to believe that and refuse to admit anything negative about MM so they get those threads closed.  

Honored Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

The "Potter" thread went on too long, it started out well but then took a u-turn with personal biases rearing their ugly head. Opinions are one thing but to use language which is demeaning is another ball of wax.  

For instance, why was the term "Baby Mama" used? I don't speak that way so why assume that it was ok? 

This is an interesting comment. @JaneMarple You are basing it on your perception. The term "baby mama" is used by all races. I hear it used routinely on TV, and social media. I do not connect the term to any one race. You do and that's the problem. 

That is why we need an open discussion board. Why not just ask the poster what she meant? She could clarify, and the discussion would stay open. Communication....

I'm not particularly fond of the term overall, but I don't care who uses it. 

I could not ask her because the thread was locked! And furthermore the poster in question was referring to the victim in the case so it wasn't an innocent query. But you knew this already! @manny2 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

That whole thread started dirty and ended dirty. Racially charged topics are a bad idea in both forums.

When people share their unpopular opinions on the topic of race, it's very offensive to most people. Most people do not want to read anti-Black sentiments or racial stereotyping. Doesn't matter whether it's done using coded terms or stated overtly.

So there's a popular side to racially charged topics that most feel comfortable with, and an unpopular side that most people don't want to be associated with. There are two sides, but one is not considered socially acceptable in American society.

That's just how it is. Some topics with two sides have a clearly wrong and justifiably unpopular position.

For example, there are people who think it's okay to harm their pets. That's an unpopular opinion. If someone demands their right to say that people should beat their dogs, they may have an opportunity to do so. But they don't have any right to demand that everyone else coddle them or treat their views as normal and anything other than abhorrent.

Many times it is a matter of perspective.  Using your example, there have been many tips that people have given on these boards that I believe are just plan abuse.  And I am sure some have thought the same of my suggestions.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Porcelain  But too many posters read racism as motives for a post where absolutely none exists, and continue to make accusations of it purposely to get a thread shut down. And they close their eyes to any  explanation from a poster why the poster's comment has nothing at all to do with race. Example : criticism of Meghan Markle for her bahavior (and of  Harry too!) which has nothing to do with race. People just refuse to believe that and refuse to admit anything negative about MM so they get those threads closed.  

They have a whole Royal forum section over there and I never even look at it. I am sure people can talk about their hatred for Meghan all they want to. I find it bizarre that anyone would want to.

There are rapists and murderers in the world and yet some save up all their bile for a former actress who married a prince. It's irrational, regardless of where it comes from. I don't get it and don't care to. Thankfully I don't have to.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

They have a whole Royal forum section over there and I never even look at it. I am sure people can talk about their hatred for Meghan all they want to. I find it bizarre that anyone would want to.

There are rapists and murderers in the world and yet some save up all their bile for a former actress who married a prince. It's irrational, regardless of where it comes from. I don't get it and don't care to. Thankfully I don't have to.

@Porcelain  I can see that you don't get it at all. And "save up all their bile"?  Exaggerate much?  You are exhibiting some of that bile yourself.

Respected Contributor

The Royal family is definitely a lightning rod topic here as well. Never been to Proboard but am guessing it's as controversial as it is here.  You have the people posting who dislike them and also the RF worshippers who think these people can do no wrong.

Honored Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

The Royal family is definitely a lightning rod topic here as well. Never been to Proboard but am guessing it's as controversial as it is here.  You have the people posting who dislike them and also the RF worshippers who think these people can do no wrong.

@KKJ  😂 @  "Worshippers".  More exaggeration.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was really enjoying the dialogue all day (Sunday) among some very civilized Posters. It was different.

All of a sudden the RF is involved. What's up with that? Come on!!!!  It had to turn into this!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

The problem I see with this analysis is that in today's climate, it often seems that virtually anything and everything remotely related to any ethnic minority becomes 'racially charged'. Any sort of criticism or negative opinion of anyone who is black, for example, is almost immediately attributed to being racism, when more often than not, it isn't. Quite honestly, the entire concept of racial sensitivity has, in my opinion, jumped the shark to a level that's no longer reasonable.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...