Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone smell phantom flowers?

Maybe the house being closed up and the heat on brings out scents otherwise some of these posts feel like the Twilght Zone.

Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 

@Carmie Could be lots of logical reasons.  When our neighbor runs their dryer I can smell the exhaust of dryer sheets.  All windows are closed but I can smell car exhaust and cigarette smoke (no one in our house smokes).  I have an extreme sense of smell.  Very sensitive.  

Can identify with that.... it's a gift or a curse. (Monk saying)

Valued Contributor

@Carmie  I have had this same phenomenon. When my brother died a few years ago, I smelled lillies all the time. In my daughter's car, in the house, whatever. No one else could smell them. He always bought lillies for his wife. It was the only flower and scent he could stand.

And just recently, I had a day when I could smell lillies again. I just said Hi Bubs to my brother because I just know he was passing by.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

For the last month or so, I have been smelling a woman's flowery cologne. No one else does.  Usually this happens only when I am in the living room.

I have no candles burning or present, no articles of clothing that belong to anyone about  and no females other than me in the house.  I don't use fabric softener, or scented laundry detergent or room sprays.

I don't smell it all of the time, mostly at night, but I smell it now.  It  smells wonderful, but is driving me crazy trying to figure out it's source.

It doesn't smell like roses which I know is linked to angels and spiritual things.

Anyone have any idea of what it could be?

@Carmie   This has happened to me, usually outside when no scented flowers are blooming.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud   We built our home so no one lived here before us.

The house we had before this one had a spirit of a young  man, 30ish, who lived with us.  My youngest son and I saw him often.  He used to move things occasionally and one night he woke me up when my oldest son fell through the slats of his upper bunk bed and was hanging by his neck.  He saved his life.

When we moved out the new home owners youngest  son saw him as well, so he didn't follow us.  I often wondered who he was and why he never passed to the next world.  I did research talking to neighbors who lived there 50-60 years, but no one knew of a young man who ever died in that home.

I felt sorry for him.

OK - but other people could've lived on the land your house sits on. (could go back many generations)

As far as why he hasn't moved on yet - for some, they may be afraid to because they don't understand what's next. Others, though, choose to stay behind to try to be of help. If the latter is the case, no need to feel sorry for him. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

That is strange! I've never mentioned this to my husband in hopes he'd say something, but I can smell barbecued spare ribs when I walk down a hall in our basement. This has gone on for years, and they smell wonderful. The hallway is under our kitchen, but I don't routinely make spare ribs, and my husband apparently doesn't smell what I do.

Honored Contributor

I have no new items in the house....nothing.

I had to go upstairs for a while.   The smell is getting stronger and I am already tired of it.

I brought down my air purifier that was in the bedroom.  I hope it helps.  We have lived in this house since May, 1988 and never had any strange odors before.

This smell started a few weeks ago and is not 24/7.  It comes and goes.

Honored Contributor

I remember reading or hearing that a sweet smell can be a result of termite infestation.

So before I answered your post, I googled, and yes, that is one sign and also a sign of mold or mildew?

So maybe you could look into that?

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm   Thanks, that's worth looking into.  There are termites in my neighborhood, but we have always been clear.

Honored Contributor

My friend's son experienced olfactory hallucinations like that after he broke his nose in a car accident.  He had surgery on his nasal bones and after that, he smelled French fries almost all the time for a few months.  As I recall, it had something to do with nerve endings in his nose.  Doctors said it would go away eventually and it did.  You might want see your doctor about it.