Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone smell phantom flowers?

Well, if I had a phantom smell to deal with, I guess the scent of flowers wouldn't be bad. I wouldn't be upset with the smell of an apple pie baking in the oven either ... lol.

I'd take any good smells over the possible alternatives. Just think what those could be. Oh, no, I'd have to move.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was cleaning out clothes last week and picked up one of Mom's sweaters. She died 4 years ago. I could smell her on it. I held it to my face and enjoyed the smell. I went back to that sweater a while later and couldn't smell her anymore.

The week after my uncle died, I was mulching leaves and thought my mower was about to blow up because it smelled bad. When I realized the smell was my uncle's cough drops, it disappeared.

Perhaps you're smelling something from your past.

Respected Contributor

I'm a bit late to this discussion but I please want to chime in.  I am in my mid 60's and this used to happen to me occasionally throughout my mid to late 20's.  I went through a time where I would randomly, unexpectedly, and with months in between occurances, smell the scent of strawberries. I am a complete believer in science and will do my best to debunk any spiritual or heavenly reasons for this and I don't believe in ghosts.  Oh, and I do not like strawberries and their aroma is not associated with any family member or friend. There was nothing medically wrong with me.  I still stubbornly hold on to my practical, of this Earth views, but the window was left open to the possibility that I don't know it all.  When the strawberry thing was happening, somehow in my head I thought, Grandmom? Is that you?

Valued Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

The smell doesn't remind me of anyone.  I have had many experiences with spirits, so I thought about that. But if this smell is coming from a spirit, it is one I am not familiar with.

I thought maybe I was nuts, but I don't smell it outdoors, or in other rooms.  I even checked to see if the Kleenex was scented.  I don't smell it all of the time.

I sure hope I don't have another strange spirit in my house.  My youngest son is tuned into spirits like I am.  I often accuse  him of bringing his housemates with him when he visits.

Oh, how I hate this.  I might have to get some sage to burn and hope that the smell goes away.

If you have the "gift" and the scent hasn't gone away then maybe something attached itself to you and followed you home. Or it could be phantosmia, a phantom smell.  I read about it on line when it happened to me and could be due to some underlying medical conditon, medication, stress, etc. Check it out on line.  A saline rinse might clear it up.    Good luck with finding the source and fixing the problem.   :smileyhappy:

Respected Contributor

@grandma r 

I had an aunt that I was extremely close to and although she has passed over 10 years ago, flowers bloom or the scent of my birth month flower becomes prominent in the dead of winter.....all of these occurrences happen when I am most distraught.  A pleasant way of communicating her caring !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Contributor

I started smelling fresh baked bread a couple weeks ago. We very seldom have bread in the house and when we do it's usually in the freezer. Weird😊