Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone see on the news tonight about the food shortage?

@happycat   If I'm not mistaken, I think they were saying through the holidays, which would, to me, be through January. I personally am trying to think through until February. 

If I don't need what I purchase, I will share with my children and donate to a shelter. Nothing will go to waste.   Shelters are supposedly going to be hit especially hard.  

Slight correction: They ARE getting hit hard right now.

Honored Contributor

This is an exact replay of what people said in February. It was the exact same story going around about not fear mongering and assuming everything would be okay. Back then I was initially more on the side of trusting the supply chain and local authorities to keep order and distribute goods like they always had before.

Then just a month later people were grateful to find a single roll of 1 ply TP at the hardware store. Suppliers doing their job to try to keep us supplied this time is good news. Everyone, including stores, was blindsided last time. Not this time.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

We did not have any serious food shortages back in March, the big shortage was cleaning and paper products. I think eggs, some produce,  and beef were limited but I never had to really do without anything important. I have tried to begin stocking up little by little but now am seeing the shelves being bare of some canned goods, probably anticipating shortages that may never happen...except for the hoarders. I still see people buying several huge packs of tp at the same time...guess it is no longer limited. Probably should be.

Honored Contributor

If I have Clorox too long I just use it to clean my toilets; it will remove rust stains, etc in short order.
Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
If I have Clorox too long I just use it to clean my toilets; it will remove rust stains, etc in short order.

There you go! Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

This is an exact replay of what people said in February. It was the exact same story going around about not fear mongering and assuming everything would be okay. Back then I was initially more on the side of trusting the supply chain and local authorities to keep order and distribute goods like they always had before.

Then just a month later people were grateful to find a single roll of 1 ply TP at the hardware store. Suppliers doing their job to try to keep us supplied this time is good news. Everyone, including stores, was blindsided last time. Not this time.

@Porcelain, and those saying it now? Do they not listen or read the news at all? I just don't get it.

There is no shame in learning that you might have been incorrect or led astray.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Porcelain, and those saying it now? Do they not listen or read the news at all? I just don't get it.

There is no shame in learning that you might have been incorrect or led astray.

I think they have the same story no matter what.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Georgiagrama wrote:

Apparently suppliers are ramping up their efforts to prevent another shortage. Campbells soup and General Mills are working overtime.  They were saying what you can buy and freeze to do so.  I've been freezing flour and stashing a few extra canned goods. They mentioned spices also. 

Clorox wipes still haven't caught up though. And, Tupperware has doubled their profits because more people are cooking at home.  

Get your supplies for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners early. 

@Georgiagrama 

WHY are you freezing flour?   

@Tinkrbl44   I do a lot of baking during the holidays. The less I have to go out during cold and flu season, the better.  Especially with the flu nowdays.  

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I have hoarding tendencies.  Sometimes I don't even know I am doing it.  LOL  I do have a small freezer and then freezer compartments in two refrigerators. And I stock my shelves in three closests.  Only two of us.  I think I will be just fine unless I run out of ice cream.  LOL

@bonnielu   Smiley LOLSmiley LOL  My husband feels the same way about his pork rinds.  Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Some places did have meat shortages back in the spring. I know this, because my mom wanted ground beef and there was none here to be found for at least a few weeks. Meat here was scarce and when they finally did have some for sale, it was high as a cats back.