QVC Customer Care
Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone see on the news tonight about the food shortage?

@BirkiLady wrote:

Haven't had any trouble finding anything, except rubbing alcohol which I need for my daily injections. Who knew that would be so difficult to find? Finally found a Walgreens which keeps it under lock and key . . . and only a couple of their pharmacy technicians know it's available! They have been my go-to place for rubbing alcohol.
How do other people find rubbing alcohol for their daily injections?

I use alcohol pads for checking my sugar with my glucose meter.

Our pharmacy had a regular-sized box of alcohol pads, and then when we were at Sam's Club one day, they had two really large boxes shrink-wrapped together in their over-the-counter pharmacy section.

Our pharmacy was the only place that I saw rubbling alcohol, too.

Honored Contributor

We routinely keep a year stock of most things we use, including food, so I'm not overly worried about what may be coming from a personal standpoint. I do worry about those that can't or won't stay stocked and what they may face in the coming months. 

It's not always about people starving for lack of food being available, but more about people with special dietary needs not finding what they need, people who can't get out often not being able to get what they need, or people who truly can't afford to stock much ahead being left short of certain things and having to turn more to taking whatever food pantries have available.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Just what we need.  Businesses triggering more panic buying.

And I'm sure if it wasn't reported, people would be having a fit once the problem presented itself once again, and be demanding to know why it wasn't brought to the forefront, so they could have done something to prepare for it.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@Georgiagrama  

OP, and you heard this news on tv? Really?? Since when is what the news reports is reality? Please do your homework before posting.

Unbelievable!

Just do a quick Google search. This has been in the news for several weeks, on a variety of news outlets, both liberal and conservative......

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Icegoddess   Suppliers are ramping up their efforts to prevent that. 

@Georgiagrama That may be their intent, but it is not what the outcome will be.  Look at how many posts here said they were stocking up.

I don't get why people have an issue with people stocking up. It's the responsible thing to do. 

What should people do? Should they wait until there is nothing available and look to the government for a handout? Should they just get in line at food pantries and compete with those that had no money to stock up, taking food away from people when they could have prevented doing so? Should they just shrug their shoulders and move on because they didn't stock up, and now have nothing to share with family, friends or local charities in need? Should they eat foods they can't or shouldn't for various health reasons and could make them sick, because they didn't stock up on 'safe' for them foods ahead of time?

I stay stocked up. I was heavily stocked with most needs when this hit. I continued to stock as we used and gave away things, including food and toilet paper. I'm not in a panic, I don't create a panic by doing so. I don't go in and wipe out a shelf during a time of crisis. I supply my mom, my adult son, the local food pantry, and an occasional friend looking for items in short supply. 

And I don't apologize for any of it, and I won't be shamed for it. Again, it's what responsible, forethinking people do. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Icegoddess   Suppliers are ramping up their efforts to prevent that. 

@Georgiagrama That may be their intent, but it is not what the outcome will be.  Look at how many posts here said they were stocking up.

I don't get why people have an issue with people stocking up. It's the responsible thing to do. 

What should people do? Should they wait until there is nothing available and look to the government for a handout? Should they just get in line at food pantries and compete with those that had no money to stock up, taking food away from people when they could have prevented doing so? Should they just shrug their shoulders and move on because they didn't stock up, and now have nothing to share with family, friends or local charities in need? Should they eat foods they can't or shouldn't for various health reasons and could make them sick, because they didn't stock up on 'safe' for them foods ahead of time?

I stay stocked up. I was heavily stocked with most needs when this hit. I continued to stock as we used and gave away things, including food and toilet paper. I'm not in a panic, I don't create a panic by doing so. I don't go in and wipe out a shelf during a time of crisis. I supply my mom, my adult son, the local food pantry, and an occasional friend looking for items in short supply. 

And I don't apologize for any of it, and I won't be shamed for it. Again, it's what responsible, forethinking people do. 

Thank you, @Mominohio. ITA. 

Honored Contributor

With covid, my family won't be together for Thanksgiving. I will take dinner to my 89 yr old dad and disabled sister. I checked 3 stores and they were out of turkey breasts. Even their selection of whole turkeys were very limited. They said turkey sells as fast as they get it. Wow.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

My state's ICU's hospital rooms are at 87% capacity last I looked and we are still hitting record highs of people testing positive as well as the testing positivity rate. This is real and it doesn't matter if we are  "testing more so there are more cases found" when we are almost out of hospital rooms and ICU nurses and doctors are running short too. 

We have always stocked a pantry and have just added a bit more so we don't have to run out as much. I am also supporting our local food pantries as there is a real need there too. I encourage anyone who is financially able to, to help out in this way as they look to stock their pantry at home.

We all need to come together and love and help one another get through this. That's what other generations in America have done through every other crisis. Hugs to all. 

Honored Contributor

My trucker daughter has a designated run.   She heads west with a truckload of one or two products, but picks up one main product to bring back and drop at a southern warehouse.   

As the predicted fall surge takes off, these warehouses and distribution centers are struggling to remain open.  If my daughters pickup warehouse is closed, then that trailer load of product she normally hauls will be missing from east coast stores.   

Warehouse closures also trickles down to lost revenue for my daughter, and the company she works for.   If her company dispatch is notified of warehouse closures in CA, WA, UT, and ID, that means the challenge is on to get drivers and trucks moving to pick up what products are available.   This often results in down time for drivers, as there's not enough loads to keep everyone working that week.