Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone see on the news tonight about the food shortage?

@BirkiLady Do you shop at Walmart? Walmart dot com has it in 2 packs of 32 ounce bottles. There is a limit of one (2 pack) Now, you do have to spend $35 if you want free shipping (I can do that in a heartbeat). But if you are having a hard time finding it a couple of walmart orders will get you what you need.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was in the grocery store today and noticed that they have put  the little notices back up by the canned goods limiting the # you can purchase. 

I do not like to cook for only two people -we end up wasting so much food as we do not like leftovers - not to mention the time it takes to cook and clean up. 

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Trusted Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

I don't buy into the gloom and doom. This is the U.S.A. Our economy is coming back and this country will continue to deal with Covid just like every other flu that we've dealt with over the years. I'm one of those who will not continue to shelter in place for months on end. JMO. And no, I have no plans to buy holiday supplies and freeze them.

@jannabelle1 I totally agree. I'm sick of all the doom and gloom. People just seem to stay in panic mode.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Trusted Contributor

@Sapphiregal wrote:

I was in the grocery store today and noticed that they have put  the little notices back up by the canned goods limiting the # you can purchase. 

I do not like to cook for only two people -we end up wasting so much food as we do not like leftovers - not to mention the time it takes to cook and clean up. 

Most people don't cook for a restaurant.  But I admire people like you, who efortlessly cook meal after meal for multiple people.

Unless you're talking about the one or two holidays a year where we may have to cook for a full table.

I've never done it, but if I had to cook for multiple people I would want a lot of canned goods available.

Occasional Contributor

My brother is an Opthamologist whose patients tend toward the older side. In order to re-open back in April, he needed alot of rubbing alcohol because his elderly patients didn't like the strong smell of Lysol or Clorox. His staff was hosing down every nook and cranny with it. He was lucky to find a 16 oz bottle every 3-4 weeks, and he needed 2 32-oz bottles every 2 days! I became his shopper. Someone else suggested Walmart and that was my go-to. I did the same as she did - found enough household items to earn free shipping and placed multiple orders. Every order was $35-$40, but at least I got the 2 larger bottles of alcohol. I did 10 orders, including some things my friends needed as well. Finally, I found motherloads at BJ's and Sam's, where they had no limits. Costso would get some in every couple of weeks, but you could only buy 2 packs of 2 of the larger bottles. Walmart was a godsend. I can also find alcohol wipes pretty easily, but they are expensive compared to the Walmart idea.

Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Just what we need.  Businesses triggering more panic buying.

@Icegoddess   Suppliers are ramping up their efforts to prevent that. 

@Georgiagrama That may be their intent, but it is not what the outcome will be.  Look at how many posts here said they were stocking up.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Suppliers are making public statements about trying to prevent shortages. I think it is intended to prepare us for rationing and seeing empty shelves again. If they introduce the idea slowly, there may be less of a backlash. If they really expected everything to go perfectly smoothly, they would not have brought up the idea of shortages.

I don't find it particularly scary. I survived the spring and I'll muddle through this winter just fine as well. We all will. We've all shown we are quite strong and resourceful. And when we get into a pickle, we just get right out again. -- Edited to add: This is all assuming we don't run into someone with a cough and no mask. Then we could have pretty serious problems to contend with, and no guarantee of a happy ending.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

I am going to say one thing about food shortages:  if you can afford to be all set, remember those who cannot afford to buy more than a weeks supply-if that.

I will not feel comfortable among my own food supplies until I see the long lines at food banks go away.  Some of those lines require HOURS of waiting.

We should always be prepared for any emergency whether pandemic, weather, etc.  And we should always be willing to help other be prepared, too.

That is such an important point @Cakers3.  I think all of food banks are facing big demand and real challenges in being able to meet demand. 

It is so distressing to think about those out there that are hungry and worry about where they are going to get food.  It especially breaks my heart to think about kids that are hungry.  I try as often as I possibly can to make a special trip to the grocery and buy food products and take up to our local food bank.

@pitdakota   Not to mention winter weather brings in additional expense for heat, especially with children at home all day.

I find it very cavalier that some think we will just survive this; it's easy to say when your stomach is full, you are warm, and all the bills are paid.

We have seen the suffering from last spring; it hasn't gone away and will escalate during the winter months.  Some of our fellow citizens struggle each day as it is; the additional hardship brought on by this pandemic cannot be dismissed.

Not everyone made out ok during the last shortage and not everyone is at ease now.

What really hurts are those in shelters; even the red kettles will not be around this year.

The true test of character isn't about political views or how well stocked one is or any other litmus test one can conjure up.

The test  is very simple-the true test of character is how we care for those who have less than we have. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

Suppliers are making public statements about trying to prevent shortages. I think it is intended to prepare us for rationing and seeing empty shelves again. If they introduce the idea slowly, there may be less of a backlash. If they really expected everything to go perfectly smoothly, they would not have brought up the idea of shortages.

I don't find it particularly scary. I survived the spring and I'll muddle through this winter just fine as well. We all will. We've all shown we are quite strong and resourceful. And when we get into a pickle, we just get right out again.

@Porcelain   And the good thing is, people will help each other out if there are situations that they can't get out.  We are fortunate to have had neighbors checking on us and offering items that we needed.  They still do.  If needed, I want to have extras so that I can do the same. 

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

I am going to say one thing about food shortages:  if you can afford to be all set, remember those who cannot afford to buy more than a weeks supply-if that.

I will not feel comfortable among my own food supplies until I see the long lines at food banks go away.  Some of those lines require HOURS of waiting.

We should always be prepared for any emergency whether pandemic, weather, etc.  And we should always be willing to help other be prepared, too.

That is such an important point @Cakers3.  I think all of food banks are facing big demand and real challenges in being able to meet demand. 

It is so distressing to think about those out there that are hungry and worry about where they are going to get food.  It especially breaks my heart to think about kids that are hungry.  I try as often as I possibly can to make a special trip to the grocery and buy food products and take up to our local food bank.

@pitdakota   Not to mention winter weather brings in additional expense for heat, especially with children at home all day.

I find it very cavalier that some think we will just survive this; it's easy to say when your stomach is full, you are warm, and all the bills are paid.

We have seen the suffering from last spring; it hasn't gone away and will escalate during the winter months.  Some of our fellow citizens struggle each day as it is; the additional hardship brought on by this pandemic cannot be dismissed.

Not everyone made out ok during the last shortage and not everyone is at ease now.

What really hurts are those in shelters; even the red kettles will not be around this year.

The true test of character isn't about political views or how well stocked one is or any other litmus test one can conjure up.

The test  is very simple-the true test of character is how we care for those who have less than we have. 

@Cakers3, ITA.  I would add that the further test of character is how much we think of others to conduct ourselves a little differently for a relatively short period of time in order not to bring suffering to others as well.   

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *