Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone see on the news tonight about the food shortage?

@Mominohio wrote:

@lucky-girl wrote:

This is how the hoarding starts.

This is how preparedness, security and the availability to help others as well as ourselves in times of  a crisis starts as well. 

Like most things in life, it is what you make of it. You can be a hoarder, or you can be part of the solution during tough times (as in, being prepared ahead of time with what you need so you aren't the one in line for the food pantry, the government handout etc. adding to the crisis, while at the same time being able to give to others in need) . 

I consider myself part of the solution.

@Mominohio  I feel the same way.  I don't think of being prepared as hoarding.  I've never seen so many critical comments, but that seems to be the way of the world these days, nevermind individual situations.     

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Georgiagrama wrote:

Apparently suppliers are ramping up their efforts to prevent another shortage. Campbells soup and General Mills are working overtime.  They were saying what you can buy and freeze to do so.  I've been freezing flour and stashing a few extra canned goods. They mentioned spices also. 

Clorox wipes still haven't caught up though. And, Tupperware has doubled their profits because more people are cooking at home.  

Get your supplies for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners early. 

@Georgiagrama 

WHY are you freezing flour?   

@Tinkrbl44   I do a lot of baking during the holidays. The less I have to go out during cold and flu season, the better.  Especially with the flu nowdays.  

@Georgiagrama 

Yeah, I assumed it had to do with holiday baking.  Just wondered why you would freeze the flour, instead of wrapping it in plastic ... or whatever.   

@Tinkrbl44   I live in the deep south.  We have beetles that get into any wheat/corn product.  Most of the time, it's already in the product.  Especially things like corn meal, flour, grits and even a container of bread crumbs.  

Just in case you are wondering, yes, I'm also buying extra yeast, butter, and sugar. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@lucky-girl wrote:

This is how the hoarding starts.

This is how preparedness, security and the availability to help others as well as ourselves in times of  a crisis starts as well. 

Like most things in life, it is what you make of it. You can be a hoarder, or you can be part of the solution during tough times (as in, being prepared ahead of time with what you need so you aren't the one in line for the food pantry, the government handout etc. adding to the crisis, while at the same time being able to give to others in need) . 

I consider myself part of the solution.

@Mominohio  I feel the same way.  I don't think of being prepared as hoarding.  I've never seen so many critical comments, but that seems to be the way of the world these days, nevermind individual situations.     

Those same people would say tough luck you should have been prepared and taken responsibility if any of us ran out of supplies. They're just trying to have it both ways in order to dump on people for fun. I never take their lectures seriously.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr