Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone see on the news tonight about the food shortage?

@BirkiLady wrote:

Haven't had any trouble finding anything, except rubbing alcohol which I need for my daily injections. Who knew that would be so difficult to find? Finally found a Walgreens which keeps it under lock and key . . . and only a couple of their pharmacy technicians know it's available! They have been my go-to place for rubbing alcohol. 

How do other people find rubbing alcohol for their daily injections?

@BirkiLady   Do you need the bottle of alcohol or can you use the little alcohol wipes?  Amazon has them - $5.41 for a box of 200, shipped from Amazon.

hth

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Just what people need to hear so they can start panic buying again.

I saw this story in GMA and what they actually said is that production is being ramped up so that there isn't another food shortage, not that there is a food shortage. 

They did say that one of the things they are seeing a run on is baking supplies.  Typically those things start to get in short supply about 2 weeks prior so whatever you need for Thanksgiving, you should buy 2 weeks beforehand. 

@Lipstickdiva 

That's exactly what I heard on NBC Nightly News. The headline suggested an upcoming food shortage, but the actually story was about measures being taken so there wouldn't be a shortage.  The promo was very misleading. 

@shoesnbags  @Lipstickdiva 

Interestingly enough, that's exactly what my original post said. Smiley Wink

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Just what people need to hear so they can start panic buying again.

I saw this story in GMA and what they actually said is that production is being ramped up so that there isn't another food shortage, not that there is a food shortage. 

They did say that one of the things they are seeing a run on is baking supplies.  Typically those things start to get in short supply about 2 weeks prior so whatever you need for Thanksgiving, you should buy 2 weeks beforehand. 

@Lipstickdiva 

That's exactly what I heard on NBC Nightly News. The headline suggested an upcoming food shortage, but the actually story was about measures being taken so there wouldn't be a shortage.  The promo was very misleading. 

@shoesnbags  @Lipstickdiva 

Interestingly enough, that's exactly what my original post said. Smiley Wink

@Georgiagrama 

Indeed it did.  It then the thread went in another direction, with people talking about stocking up for the coming shortages. And I was referring to the misleading promo run by NBC news, not you. You were very clear.  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

@Georgiagrama 

What is the source for this story?  I am interested to read it.

@4kitties,  I saw it on our local news station that is a Fox affliate.  It was a combined report about several companies ramping up production  to prevent shortages of their products going into the holidays and people reacting to increased covid-19 infections.  The segment I saw was also combined with the news of the increased demand for Tupperware, how Tupperware sales are soaring, and Tupperware stock was up 30%.

There is a print story published by Fox Business titled "Coronavirus prompts packaged food brands to prepare for second wave".  If you care to google that title, I am sure the article will come up.  However, more than one source is covering that General Mills and other companies are ramping up production so that hopefully products will be in ready supply.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

Last night on my local news, I heard the opposite.  They were saying that the food supply chain is strong and it's strong because they've been ramping up all along.  Whether it's true or not...I don't know.

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I am going to say one thing about food shortages:  if you can afford to be all set, remember those who cannot afford to buy more than a weeks supply-if that.

I will not feel comfortable among my own food supplies until I see the long lines at food banks go away.  Some of those lines require HOURS of waiting.

We should always be prepared for any emergency whether pandemic, weather, etc.  And we should always be willing to help other be prepared, too.

That is such an important point @Cakers3.  I think all of food banks are facing big demand and real challenges in being able to meet demand. 

It is so distressing to think about those out there that are hungry and worry about where they are going to get food.  It especially breaks my heart to think about kids that are hungry.  I try as often as I possibly can to make a special trip to the grocery and buy food products and take up to our local food bank.

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Haven't had any trouble finding anything, except rubbing alcohol which I need for my daily injections. Who knew that would be so difficult to find? Finally found a Walgreens which keeps it under lock and key . . . and only a couple of their pharmacy technicians know it's available! They have been my go-to place for rubbing alcohol. 

How do other people find rubbing alcohol for their daily injections?

@BirkiLady I don't need it for injections but I use small alcohol wipes that I get from Amazon.  They still have a good supply...they are small 1" or so squares individually wrapped.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

Last night on my local news, I heard the opposite.  They were saying that the food supply chain is strong and it's strong because they've been ramping up all along.  Whether it's true or not...I don't know.

@ScrapHappy, I think that was what OP was mentioning in her leading post. The discussion then immediately went to shortages and a few of the typical denial comments about the virus in general.

In other words, same stuff/different day. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@ScrapHappy, I think that was what OP was mentioning in her leading post. The discussion then immediately went to shortages and a few of the typical denial comments about the virus in general.

In other words, same stuff/different day. :-)

__________________________________________________-

@suzyQ3, lol seems to be a problem with some understanding the word "prevent".  Very clearly stated in the OP's first post. 

Not directed at you @ScrapHappy, but others that took the thread in a totally different direction.

Honored Contributor

What am I suppose to do open up my own little mom and pop grocery store? Who can even buy so much at one time to stock up, I don't have an over abundance amount of money to spend.

Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:
My family has always lived rural, and it just seems like we were always prepared. I have always done the same for my family, and am never the one running to the store because a storm is coming.

Feeding 2-6 people daily requires more than minimal amounts of food in the house. If the 4 of us have to be quarantined, I have family across the road who could drop off bread, milk, eggs, etc., but I would never hand them a full list and expect them to do full shopping for me.

My local stores have struggled to get back to normal and are still not 100%. For as long as this pandemic lasts, there will be shortages and problems. I have taken the visual of what I've seen locally for 7 months, and listened to advice of store managers, to formulate a plan to care for my family.

If we face more shortages, I'm good; no shortages, I'm still good.

@RedTop  I think you are smart to keep yourself informed and prepared.  I can relate to not having to hand someone a grocery list.  It's one thing to have a friend of loved one drop off a gallon of milk, but, quite another when you are out of everything and trying to cook for a family.  

The fact is, food shortage or not, there is a contagious virus circulating among us that requires quarantine. I prefer to be prepared.