Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone see on the news tonight about the food shortage?

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Yeah it was on one of the morning news shows (GMA or Today).  So I'm stocking up.

Just remember, Clorox in it's original container, starts to go bad (so to speak) after 6 months.  So if you have Clorox since before the pandemic, don't expect it to disinfect properly, it may still *bleach*, but not do what you think it will do.  I'm seeing it in supply around here and did buy a bottle for just in case.

@Lucky Charm   This is true and there is a way to read the label to determine when the bleach was manufactured. 

Example:  A6 20 55 10

6420  TX9

A6=Plant ID

20= the year 2020 (last 2 digits of the year)

55=Day of the year.  In this case it would be February 24

10=Identifies the work shift

The second line under this code relates to the EPA Registration Code and the state regulation code.  So the 6420 would be the EPA Code and the TX9 would be Texas.  (These are not actual codes-just an example).

This bottle has been manufactured on Februay 24, 2020, and will begin to deteriorate on August 24, 2020.

Also check your local disposal requirements-pouring bleach down your drains and toilets is fine but there is a limit for safe disposal in that manner.

Your Clorox Wipes will expire in 1 year; you can look up online how to read that code.  It's a tad larger but basically uses the same formula.

HTH

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

I don't buy into the gloom and doom. This is the U.S.A. Our economy is coming back and this country will continue to deal with Covid just like every other flu that we've dealt with over the years. I'm one of those who will not continue to shelter in place for months on end. JMO. And no, I have no plans to buy holiday supplies and freeze them.

@jannabelle1   Finally a voice of reason. I quit watching GMA all these people can spew is bad news.  No wonder people are certifiable. According to them we're all gonna starve to death, get Covid and die or mother nature events will kill us. Debbie downers.

Honored Contributor

Also:  Lysol Wipes and Sprays are good for 2 years.

(I'm sure eyes glazed over reading my post about Clorox so look up your expiration dates for Lysol yourselves.  LOL)

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the Clorox Wipes info @Cakers3.  Interesting.  I've been holding onto my last canister of Medical Grade Clorox Wipes which they now only give to hospitals.  I better check the code.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

I am going to say one thing about food shortages:  if you can afford to be all set, remember those who cannot afford to buy more than a weeks supply-if that.

I will not feel comfortable among my own food supplies until I see the long lines at food banks go away.  Some of those lines require HOURS of waiting.

We should always be prepared for any emergency whether pandemic, weather, etc.  And we should always be willing to help other be prepared, too.

Honored Contributor

@Deree wrote:

Thanks for the Clorox Wipes info @Cakers3.  Interesting.  I've been holding onto my last canister of Medical Grade Clorox Wipes which they now only give to hospitals.  I better check the code.

@Deree   You are welcome.  I believe the Medical Grade has a longer life than the ones normally used at home.  I came across a chart somewhere online that indicated the shelf life of all Clorox products.

I'm not sure how the code works on wipes but you can find how to read it online.  I think the code is longer but basically indicates year and day of manufacture just as on the bleach bottles.

Esteemed Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@happycat I've already had the "you are welcome to move back home if necessary" talk with DS. He was furloughed at first, now unemployed. His entire team was cut. Jobs in his field are finally beginning to open up as permanent WFH. 

I keep a deep pantry anyway but I'm starting to list what I'm short on to make a pre-holiday run.

I have had that talk with our kids also, more than once. I worry more about my daughter, as she lives in a different state and in a large city. Honestly I worry more about crime where she is, her safety more than anything. 

I'm sorry your son was furloughed and I do hope he gets to go back to work soon.

Esteemed Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@happycat wrote:

I didn't see it, thank you for the update.

This is kind of beginning to get to me. I feel like I am on some sort of treadmill, the faster I try to run, the faster the thing moves. 

I've been trying to stock up, its very hard to try to think of everything.

And for how long?

Do we need to try to get enough food and supplies in case all heck really breaks loose and the kids need to move back home?

@happycat   If I'm not mistaken, I think they were saying through the holidays, which would, to me, be through January. I personally am trying to think through until February. 

If I don't need what I purchase, I will share with my children and donate to a shelter. Nothing will go to waste.   Shelters are supposedly going to be hit especially hard.  

At any rate, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  

I think thats a good idea. I usually stock up for winter anyway in case the road gets bad and dh is working long hours and can't take me to town. This feels more desperate than my winter stock up, honestly. 

I'd bought quite a bit of beef back shortly after pandemic started and given a lot to the kids. We have a man pretty close who grown his own beef and pork, processes at his shop and its a lot cheaper than buying at Kroger or Wal Mart. Tastes a lot better too.

Thats what I am doing too, stocking up on things we will need and use, and share with the kids.

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Georgiagrama   Yes, there was a brief story on the local DC NBC4 news station this morning.  Thank you for posting to alert folks who may not be aware of the situation.  

I started stocking up gradually several weeks ago to replenish things gradually and be ahead of the curve on this supply chain issue.  I pretty much have everything to sustain Significant Other and I in case the situation deteriorates.

I definitely was proactive in terms of seasonings, spices, yeast, and other baking supplies for the upcoming holidays and beyond.

I keep a running list of staples so that as I use them I replace them to keep it from becoming burdensome.  

My attitude is that none of it will go to waste and if a neighbor or my son or daughter and their families need something this old gal can possibly help them.

My son and his now wife helped me last spring when I was in a tizzy about toilet paper.  No worries about that item ever again.

In that category I am well stocked.

Only thing I can't keep ahead of too much is meat--just have a normal freezer compartment in a regular fridge.

I always like to be prepared.  Have lived in areas hit by hurricanes and blizzards so it is second nature to me to have some essentials "put by" just in case.

I think different supermarket chaains rely on different suppliers so what you might find in one store you won't find in another.  I also think the manaager of a store brings his or her abilities to bear on this.  And it perhaps varies from region to region what each of us is seeing and experiencing.

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

Your toilet paper comment made me chuckle, @aroc3435. My daughter and her roommate live in a different state and they were running low on tp and couldn't find any anywhere. Someone on here had mentioned the wesite Quell as having it. so I got on there and ordered a huge case of it, had it delivered to them.

The girls were here a few weeks ago, they said the haven't even made a dent in that toilet paper I ordered them, LOL. I thought that was so funny!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just when things were coming back in the grocery stores (except for good ole Clorox wipes---I use Lysol now, readily available let it dry for 10 minutes)...the media starts the fear mongering which will start the hoarding again! Woman Frustrated  They are making these predictions on the cuff, just like they said the virus doesnt impact young people or kids....what a disaster that created.....  I dont trust their crystal ball.... I check stats and facts posted on Health Dept website....

Yes some states are spiking but thats do to more testing becoming more available and easier and easier to get....but death rates have declined and cases appear to be more mild, at least thats what our area Health Departments are saying here....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”