Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone see on the news tonight about the food shortage?

We have always had a good supply of things in our home.  My husband likes to grocery shop and has always been that way.  When I say one he always got two.  Daughter and her family live down the street and I must say has come in handy to have extras.  I always tell her check with us before you go to the store.  I do not want to waste food either.  Another reason he likes to pick up extra.

We would rather not have to go out in the co!d to shop.  People always coughing and sneezing all winter long.  I should have been wearing a mask to shop for years.

We figured it might get worse again.  Just take a look around and what we are dealing with.  A no brainer really.

Honored Contributor

Stale BLEACH?? Head slap!

Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama  

OP, and you heard this news on tv? Really?? Since when is what the news reports is reality? Please do your homework before posting.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Never mind, tired of it all.

Respected Contributor

@Georgiagrama 

What is the source for this story?  I am interested to read it.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have always kept a good pantry, simply because it's what I do. I hate starting a recipe, only to find I need an ingredient. I have yeast in the fridge and in the freezer, simply because I'm making my own breads and rolls and even some of my own pasta. I just bought another 50-pound bag of flour to supplement what's already in the freezer.....put the flour in one-gallon freezer bags (one bag holds five pounds of flour). 

We had a garden this year, so both freezers are full of our garden bounty: tomato products, peppers, onions, butternut squash, corn, etc. It will help out. We have quarts of frozen applesauce. (Oh, and we have a generator for the freezers, should anything happen.)

Every time something is on sale, we stock up a bit, whether it be canned goods or meats. Our cats only drink bottled spring water, so we're really stocking up on water for them. Paper products, canned goods, lots of extra cat food cans. I have a nice pantry area in the basement that stays stocked, in addition to our pantry room in the kitchen. 

Prescription drugs are on a 90-day supply, so we're not running to Target every month. We do what we can. I am one who is a little worried about the winter months, for various reasons, only one being the pandemic.

Esteemed Contributor

There is no requirement for anyone to post the source for anything said.  The internet is available for everyone to research a story in more detail.  No poster should ever feel obligated to do this (of course,  in my opinion. )

Respected Contributor

@Georgiagrama   Yes, there was a brief story on the local DC NBC4 news station this morning.  Thank you for posting to alert folks who may not be aware of the situation.  

I started stocking up gradually several weeks ago to replenish things gradually and be ahead of the curve on this supply chain issue.  I pretty much have everything to sustain Significant Other and I in case the situation deteriorates.

I definitely was proactive in terms of seasonings, spices, yeast, and other baking supplies for the upcoming holidays and beyond.

I keep a running list of staples so that as I use them I replace them to keep it from becoming burdensome.  

My attitude is that none of it will go to waste and if a neighbor or my son or daughter and their families need something this old gal can possibly help them.

My son and his now wife helped me last spring when I was in a tizzy about toilet paper.  No worries about that item ever again.

In that category I am well stocked.

Only thing I can't keep ahead of too much is meat--just have a normal freezer compartment in a regular fridge.

I always like to be prepared.  Have lived in areas hit by hurricanes and blizzards so it is second nature to me to have some essentials "put by" just in case.

I think different supermarket chaains rely on different suppliers so what you might find in one store you won't find in another.  I also think the manaager of a store brings his or her abilities to bear on this.  And it perhaps varies from region to region what each of us is seeing and experiencing.

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My guess is that they ramp up food production every year at this time. Two of the biggest "eating" holidays are approaching so my food budget goes up anyway. 

Trusted Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

There is no requirement for anyone to post the source for anything said.  The internet is available for everyone to research a story in more detail.  No poster should ever feel obligated to do this (of course,  in my opinion. )

I know.  Google is everyone's friend.  Smiley Wink

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.