Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone recieve an eamil about the "Federal Real ID" act?

[ Edited ]

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@Suziepeach   And a marriage certificate if you have changed your name from when you were born. 

What an absolute hassle to get all the documents together, but I got a passport and a real ID so I can travel anywhere. 

@CAcableGirl2 , that's correct..  I didn't need to show any documents on that as my name change was already on my SS card and passport (did that as soon as we got married).. although I did take document if needed but was told I didn't.. make sense?  I showed all of that to the passport office and they made documentation.. driver's license place was satisfied so fine by me..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bikerbabe wrote:
@SharkE
Yes, passport is more. Not sure what is the current cost. I have one for travel out of the country so I haven’t bothered with the real ID. I’ll get one at some point.

I found this @bikerbabe ,

If you’ve never applied for a passport before, here’s what it will cost you:

• $145 total for a passport book ($110 application fee plus a $35 execution fee).
  • $65 for a passport card ($30 application fee plus a $35 execution fee).
  • $175 for a passport book and a passport card. ($140 application fee plus a $35 execution fee).
Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

just the need to renew in 2023

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

The REAL ID act was put into law in 2008.  It came about due to 9/11.  The purpose was to curtail terrorists getting  Driver's Licenses using fake names/documents.  It has nothing to do with today's political climate.  States had a certain amount of time to become compliant, maybe 10 years and then an extension?   FL became compliant in 2010.  We had no choice......when our license  came up for renewal we had to bring the required documentation.   It is strange that some states are saying you don't need to. It is a Federal law.  I definitely would do it to avoid problems in the future.   

Honored Contributor

mine is in the mail.

Trusted Contributor

When I applied for the real ID I also had to take my marriage license with me as proof of the name change.  They turned me down because I brought the certificate of marriage from the Catholic church and they do not accept that.  Had to send for a copy from the state where I was married in.  Then I got my real ID.