Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone recieve an eamil about the "Federal Real ID" act?

Follow up :

We went today took fist full of ID's all he asked for was present day drivers

license. Mine doesn't expire till 2022.

Took thumbprints on screen

Took picture.

Filled out information sheet

Paid 11.00

Said I will receive my REAL ID DRIVERS LICENSE WITH GOLD STAR ON RIGHT SIDE OF LICENSE IN couple of wks.

I will have to go in 2022 for when my license expires that's when they will do the vision test, but, since I'll have the real Id card by then I'll be good to go and will have gotten it before Oct 2022.

He agreed with me he doesn't know what's coming down they don't tell the employees nothing just a good thing to go ahead and get it. Forewarned is forearmed. Mine should be here in June some time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jackthebear wrote:
REal ID, is a real thing, but I would be skeptical as I can't imagine why my states DMv would have my email address.

@jackthebear, exactly. I would delete the e-mail, especially since it didn't address her by name.  I never received anything in the mail or via e-mail about Real ID.  My DH has a CDL with every endoresement you can possibly get for it and anytime he gets anything regarding his renewal, it always addresses him by name. 

My license had to be renewed in March.  Because Real ID isn't mandatory until next year, I had the option of just obtaining a regular license or upgrading.  It would have been foolish for me to get a regular license then have to get Real ID next year.  It wasn't a long process at all but make sure you go to your state's BMV website and see what documents you need.  When I went to the BMV, I was told many don't come in with the required documents and end up getting turned away.

It's my understanding whether your state is compliant right now or not, in 2020 everyone is going to have to have a Real ID unless you have a passport.

Honored Contributor

just curious.......why do some of you NOT want the REAL ID?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

they took our thumbprints

you put both thumbs on a screen and keep it there till the machine tells the person in charge if your wanted, I guess.

Might explain a lot. Don't guess I'm wanted

wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nobody wants me 

ROFL

Esteemed Contributor

For real.  Not a scam.  You might be able to go to your local motor vehicles and renew your drivers license to meet the requirement.  Otherwise you will need your passport to travel on planes (for example).  

I updated immediately when I heard about it.  The State of Maryland required it for all drivers licenses.  Another nearby state did not comply and the residents had to travel with passports.  

Honored Contributor

Even after 2020, real ID is not a requirement unless you want to fly or enter a federal facility and you do not have a passport.
Honored Contributor

Isn't a passport expensive ? I forgot what I paid for mine seems like it was lot higher then a drivers license

Honored Contributor

@SharkE
Yes, passport is more. Not sure what is the current cost. I have one for travel out of the country so I haven’t bothered with the real ID. I’ll get one at some point.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

The thing is, if you fly out of the country you need a passport. A real ID will not do it. So if you always have one just use it. At least that is what I plan on doing.

Respected Contributor

@Suziepeach   And a marriage certificate if you have changed your name from when you were born. 

What an absolute hassle to get all the documents together, but I got a passport and a real ID so I can travel anywhere. 

......You look like I need a drink.....