Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone recieve an eamil about the "Federal Real ID" act?

[ Edited ]

@Wiskota wrote:

I have not read all the reply's so please forgive me if this has been mentioned.  I believe you will need a Real ID in order to vote.  My DH & I are farmers and do not travel much but we do still want the privilege of voting (very important to all of us).  His birthday is early in the year and he has his Real ID DL already.  I will get mine in a few months.

I think it depends on your state whether you need a photo ID to vote.  My state does not require an ID to vote.

Honored Contributor

I tried calling and you can't talk to an actual human any more. I gave up.

We're gonna drive down to the DMV that is in a one horse town and get information from the horse's mouth.

May not ever need the upgrade, but, we don't want to wait like most will till the cut off in Oct 2020 then it will be a stampede. Forewarned is forearmed we say.

We may have to go back to Ind from Tx for relatives dying, etc. My regular license isn't due till 2022, don't know how they will do that. Find out Mon. I guess.   My friend has a IPhone and she checked the days and times for me.

Crying shame, nowdays they pass these laws and you can't even check on vital information you just have to get in car and drive there. No phone calls. I'm taking passport, SS card, Medicare card and 2 bills with me like from electric and phone company.

Regular Contributor

It is real- not a scam. I did all the prerequisite work online and printed it to take with me when my license renews. In NJ I believe it is required at renewal. And I know exactly what proof I need to bring with me.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I need the following documentation for my state.

1.  Social Security Card

2. Either a birth Certificate of U.S. passport

3 2 different documentation with your name and address on it.  (such as bank statement, utility bill, insurance card, etc)

Apparently that's it.  Not the war chest I thought you needed.  I could kiss my passport.  The only thing on the list nails me as a citizen of U.S. 

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I tried calling and you can't talk to an actual human any more. I gave up.

We're gonna drive down to the DMV that is in a one horse town and get information from the horse's mouth.

May not ever need the upgrade, but, we don't want to wait like most will till the cut off in Oct 2020 then it will be a stampede. Forewarned is forearmed we say.

We may have to go back to Ind from Tx for relatives dying, etc. My regular license isn't due till 2022, don't know how they will do that. Find out Mon. I guess.   My friend has a IPhone and she checked the days and times for me.

Crying shame, nowdays they pass these laws and you can't even check on vital information you just have to get in car and drive there. No phone calls. I'm taking passport, SS card, Medicare card and 2 bills with me like from electric and phone company.

That's all you need.  The passport (or birth certificate) proves you are a citizen,  Social Security Card also proves citizenship with earnings.  The two documentations verifies that you do transactions with legal companies. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it's important to look up your particular state's requirements for obtaining a Real ID.  This thread might not be completely accurate...

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Wiskota

No state requires a REAL ID to vote!!!

Go to the Elections Commission website. @Mj12 is correct - each state has different ID requirements...but NO STATE requires REAL ID to vote! (That provision was part of the original law enacted by Pres. Bush after 9/11.)

Trusted Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I think it's important to look up your particular state's requirements for obtaining a Real ID.  This thread might not be completely accurate...

Hi @Bri369 ,

I think that you're right.

I'm in WI, and my regular driver's license came up for renewal last year.

I could either get a regular license, or a Real ID. 

I opted for the Real ID, and I had to show several documents in order to get it. 

Since I'm married, I had to show a notarized copy of my marriage certificate, along with a notarized copy of my birth certificate for proof of ID.

I think that I also showed my SS card, and I also gave the clerk my then Driver's License, too.

I also had a current utility bill with me as proof of residency, but she took my driver's license as an ID, since everything was still current with it. 

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I live in Pennsylvania which use one of the state's where our current driver's licenses isn't considered a real ID.

I have been receiving info on how to obtain one in the mail for,quite amwhile now. I don't intend to convert my current drivers license.  I don't need a real ID for anything.

I have a valid passport to use if I need to fly and I never go to the Federal Building..if I do, I will take my passport.

I plan on renewing my passport when it expires. It is less expensive for me to renew the passport than it is to get a worthless to me real ID. It needs to be renewed every four years If I travel out of the country I need a passport anyway and that lasts for 10 years for $99.

Not that you might  need to show, but remember a post office is a federal building 

Honored Contributor

@willomenia wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I live in Pennsylvania which use one of the state's where our current driver's licenses isn't considered a real ID.

I have been receiving info on how to obtain one in the mail for,quite amwhile now. I don't intend to convert my current drivers license.  I don't need a real ID for anything.

I have a valid passport to use if I need to fly and I never go to the Federal Building..if I do, I will take my passport.

I plan on renewing my passport when it expires. It is less expensive for me to renew the passport than it is to get a worthless to me real ID. It needs to be renewed every four years If I travel out of the country I need a passport anyway and that lasts for 10 years for $99.

Not that you might  need to show, but remember a post office is a federal building 

• @willomenia.  You will not need a Real ID to enter a Post Office. Only federal buildings that normally require an id to enter which a PO does not.