Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone recieve an eamil about the "Federal Real ID" act?

I have a real-ID.  It didn't change anything when I flew/traveled.  I was still subjected to every frisking, scan and machine, just like everyoen else.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I have a real-ID.  It didn't change anything when I flew/traveled.  I was still subjected to every frisking, scan and machine, just like everyoen else.

Having a Real ID just gives you access to board the plane.  People will still need to go through X-ray machines.

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:
REal ID, is a real thing, but I would be skeptical as I can't imagine why my states DMv would have my email address.

In Michigan, if you're eligible and renew your license on-line, you have to provide an email address to get your credit card receipt sent to you, and for any questions/problems that may arise. 

I can easily see the state having a database of email addresses that they'd send a blast to regarding the Read ID initiative. 

I don't think we have the ability to renew online here,

Honored Contributor

How would the DMV or Homeland Security get your e-mail address?

In NJ you can't renew your drivers license on line.  Ever the 6 points of ID went into effect you have to go into the DMV office with your documents.  At some point in time, you do get a one time pass to renew by mail.  Otherwise every 4 years you have to go in.

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Suziepeach wrote:

It didn't cost any extra for becoming compliant in Georgia- my license is for 9yrs.

Georgia is already compliant, so you don't have to get a real ID.  Your regular drivers license will work.

Only KY, MA, MT, PA, SC, MN, MI and WA have to worry about getting Real ID's

Not quite. A state is in compliance if they are issuing real IDs.  My state is in compliance, but I do not have a real ID yet as I renewed long  before the law went into effect.

I am up for renewal this year and I will then get a real ID. 

Your state may be in compliance, but that doesn't mean your license is.

Ok, thanks, I see that now.  I live in PA which has been fighting the system along with a few other states.  We could not even apply for the real ID until just recently. Our state has been granted many extensions.

It is easier to get a passport than a Real ID, which I already have. I no longer have a copy of my SS card (cannot be laminated), which is a mandated requirement to get a real ID.

Since it isn't mandatory to get a Real ID, I am opting out.  

I would think that many people really do not need one, unless they want to fly domestic within the US and don't have a passport.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Suziepeach wrote:

It didn't cost any extra for becoming compliant in Georgia- my license is for 9yrs.

Georgia is already compliant, so you don't have to get a real ID.  Your regular drivers license will work.

Only KY, MA, MT, PA, SC, MN, MI and WA have to worry about getting Real ID's

Not quite. A state is in compliance if they are issuing real IDs.  My state is in compliance, but I do not have a real ID yet as I renewed long  before the law went into effect.

I am up for renewal this year and I will then get a real ID. 

Your state may be in compliance, but that doesn't mean your license is.

Ok, thanks, I see that now.  I live in PA which has been fighting the system along with a few other states.  We could not even apply for the real ID until just recently. Our state has been granted many extensions.

It is easier to get a passport than a Real ID, which I already have. I no longer have a copy of my SS card (cannot be laminated), which is a mandated requirement to get a real ID.

Since it isn't mandatory to get a Real ID, I am opting out.  

I would think that many people really do not need one, unless they want to fly domestic within the US and don't have a passport.

I didn't have to present my SS card to get my ReaIID license. I just showed them my passport card. As I mentioned upthread, it took me about 30 minutes to get the various personnel at the Secretary of State's office to understand that a passport card is a valid government ID that proves US citizenship, but they eventually "got it". They never asked for anything else. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Here in Maryland - a few days ago I received a letter from the DMV stating that while I currently have a DL with the star in the upper right corner, the DMV did not keep copies of my docs on file.  Now I have to make an appointment, go back to the DMV and present (again) these documents by mid-June or else they will recall my DL.  

Not a huge deal, I have all the docs, I just wish they had the foresight to keep copies of these docs on file.

Respected Contributor

With 5 pages of replies, I haven’t read most of them, so please pardon me if I repeat something that’s already been said. Virginians need to upgrade their drivers licenses, so DH and I planned to do it sooner rather than later to avoid crowds. We decided to wait until we return from our vacation after our son upgraded his license when it came due for renewal. Once he’d completed the paperwork, DMV took his expiring license and gave him a temporary license without a picture. Our drivers licenses are our primary photo ID’s (we usually keep our passports in the safe deposit box when not in use). Once we get home, we’re going to upgrade. 

BTW, our son went to DMV an hour before they closed and only had a short wait. A security guard told us they’llserve everyone who’s checked in by closing time.

Honored Contributor

My sister did this the other day.  She just supplied a current passport, social security card and two different documentation showing name and current address. Then she got her Real I.D. 

Super Contributor

I have not read all the reply's so please forgive me if this has been mentioned.  I believe you will need a Real ID in order to vote.  My DH & I are farmers and do not travel much but we do still want the privilege of voting (very important to all of us).  His birthday is early in the year and he has his Real ID DL already.  I will get mine in a few months.