Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone recieve an eamil about the "Federal Real ID" act?

@SharkE   Yes, only people who live in non compliant states have to worry about it.  Everyone else is off of the hook.

Honored Contributor

guess I'm safe in Tx. then

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Suziepeach wrote:

It didn't cost any extra for becoming compliant in Georgia- my license is for 9yrs.

Georgia is already compliant, so you don't have to get a real ID.  Your regular drivers license will work.

Only KY, MA, MT, PA, SC, MN, MI and WA have to worry about getting Real ID's

Not quite. A state is in compliance if they are issuing real IDs.  My state is in compliance, but I do not have a real ID yet as I renewed long  before the law went into effect.

I am up for renewal this year and I will then get a real ID. 

Your state may be in compliance, but that doesn't mean your license is.

Respected Contributor

AZ. they told us a few years ago what we need to do. Last year DH,DD & I renewed, we have a small gold star in the upper right hand of the dr. lic, also needed new photo, Wow! It's just our face, no hair just a huge face which looks like nothing like us at all. Guess it must be a computerized thing but that photo on all of us is bad. I did my hair, put on extra makeup & still look bad. We were told we needed this to fly just in our country, with my 92yr FIL living back east you never know when we need to make a fast trip back. If we don't have this lic then passport. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

The DMV here in Maryland is horrible.  My husband got his new driver's license back in January and we were there for several hours.  I'm not scheduled to get mine until next summer.  I hope they have a more efficient system by then.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Trusted Contributor

@SharkE ,here in Texas, our drivers license has to have a star in the right corner to be considered a real I.D.  Texas became compliant sometime in 2016 and mine was last renewed in 2015 so I have to go in and get an updated one.  I'm looking online now to find if I need to take any other documents to the DMV. 

Trusted Contributor

@SharkE  I read that if I have a valid DL on file, I don't have to bring any other documents.  But I plan on doing this very soon to avoid the rush since it has to be done before October 2020.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE.  Truth be told, most major US cities are sanctuary cities.  My sister tells me Philadelphia is.  In Albuquerque, they have people seeking amnesty living in some dorms at the state fairgrounds, several hundred of them.  Charities and the citizens of Albuquerque are feeding them but this can't go on indefinitely. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

We just renewed our driver licenses in New Hampshire.  We had the option of getting a "Real ID" license or just a regular license; we chose the latter.

If you have questions, why don't you call your DMV and get some answers?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just renewed my license last year.   We have until 10/2020 to get the Real ID.  There is a checklist for Illinois on what documents are needed.

I really don't know why it took states so long to become compliant...