Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone recieve an eamil about the "Federal Real ID" act?

@songbird 

are you in maryland by any chance?

my mom got an email also. when she renewed her drivers license online she received a "star license." however, they did not collect any documents at that time. NOW she needs to gather her four documents and take them to the DMV so that she can be verified.

they said if you do NOT do this then if they ever stop you they will confiscate the license you have now and you will then have to go to the DMV to take care of it.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Interesting.  I think I remember hearing about this and then forgot about it.

I just printed out what I need for VA and will do this when I'm on vacation.  Should be a good use of my time at the DMV.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

No, everything necessary to obtain the new Federalized ID is on your States' website.  In  my State it will list what you need before you come to the location and you can go through an expedited check out process if you have the appropriate paperwork.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in Pennsylvania which use one of the state's where our current driver's licenses isn't considered a real ID.

I have been receiving info on how to obtain one in the mail for,quite amwhile now. I don't intend to convert my current drivers license.  I don't need a real ID for anything.

I have a valid passport to use if I need to fly and I never go to the Federal Building..if I do, I will take my passport.

I plan on renewing my passport when it expires. It is less expensive for me to renew the passport than it is to get a worthless to me real ID. It needs to be renewed every four years If I travel out of the country I need a passport anyway and that lasts for 10 years for $99.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It didn't cost any extra for becoming compliant in Georgia- my license is for 9yrs.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I live in Pennsylvania which use one of the state's where our current driver's licenses isn't considered a real ID.

I have been receiving info on how to obtain one in the mail for,quite amwhile now. I don't intend to convert my current drivers license.  I don't need a real ID for anything.

I have a valid passport to use if I need to fly and I never go to the Federal Building..if I do, I will take my passport.

I plan on renewing my passport when it expires. It is less expensive for me to renew the passport than it is to get a worthless to me real ID. It needs to be renewed every four years If I travel out of the country I need a passport anyway and that lasts for 10 years for $99.

@Carmie.  My plans for this are the same as yours. My passport will suffice.

Honored Contributor

@songbird 

Nope, and I just visited the DMV last week to renew my drivers license. Not a word about any ID other than proof I lived at the same address.

If I get one it will be quickly dropped into our micro-shredder. If they want me, they know where to find me.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I'm confused.

If you don't have the new license with a star on it , it means you can't board a plane or enter a Federal bldg. is that right ?

From what I read on the Tx board site it says you have until 10-20 even though your license may not be due till much later to get this new ID card.

We don't plan to fly , but, he has family up in Ind as do I so it's not impossible we may have to break down and fly for a funeral.

Federal Bldg. not sure what that would cover.

Confusing and don't understand.

Honored Contributor

@Suziepeach wrote:

It didn't cost any extra for becoming compliant in Georgia- my license is for 9yrs.

Georgia is already compliant, so you don't have to get a real ID.  Your regular drivers license will work.

Only KY, MA, MT, PA, SC, MN, MI and WA have to worry about getting Real ID's

Honored Contributor

So you only have to worry about it if your in "non compliant ' state ?