Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone recieve an eamil about the "Federal Real ID" act?

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

It's not a scam, and it's been discussed here at length previously. If you don't want to take a domestic airline flight or enter a federal building after 10/1/2020, or if you have a valid passport that you can use for your ID, then you don't need to do anything. Otherwise, you should pay attention to it. 

I have a valid drivers licence and a hold a current U.S. passport.  I always use that for identification.  I have to as I am a naturalized citizen.   So I don't have to down to get it?

Esteemed Contributor

@kivah wrote:

The lines at the DMV in California have been very long due to them having to issue Real ID's. Fortunately, I was able to make an appointment to renew my drivers license, take the written test - and I needed an accommodation - so I didn't have to wait long. 

And now the Feds say that Ca didn't comply with the requirements.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

It's not a scam, and it's been discussed here at length previously. If you don't want to take a domestic airline flight or enter a federal building after 10/1/2020, or if you have a valid passport that you can use for your ID, then you don't need to do anything. Otherwise, you should pay attention to it. 

I have a valid drivers licence and a hold a current U.S. passport.  I always use that for identification.  I have to as I am a naturalized citizen.   So I don't have to down to get it?

I'm not going to tell you that you either do or don't have to do it. That's up to you. If you choose not to, you'd use your passport as your ID to get on an airplane or enter a Federal building. But if you're renewing your driver's license anyway, I'd probably do it. At a minimum, I'd get a passport card and keep it in my wallet. It won't work for international travel, but it's a lot more convenient than carrying the passport around. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

Whew, Va is a compliant state so a drivers license can be used.

Honored Contributor

This sound like the closest thing to a national I.D. And you can't travel in the country without it.  They created that in the old Soviet Union for their citizens.  They could not travel anywhere (let alone on an airliner) without that I.D.  They could be stopped anytime to show it. If they didn't have it, they were arrested.

Honored Contributor

REal ID, is a real thing, but I would be skeptical as I can't imagine why my states DMv would have my email address.
Honored Contributor

Yeah ... the info came with my driver's license renewal - due next month.

I'm converting from driver's license to non-driver ID ... I haven't driven a yar since 1993 and don't plan on driving in the future and I'm not about to pay $80 to renew a license I won't need.

Anyway, our DMV's website has all the info on the ID/etc. needed.  I got all the stuff out and will be going up to the DMV next week.

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:
REal ID, is a real thing, but I would be skeptical as I can't imagine why my states DMv would have my email address.

In Michigan, if you're eligible and renew your license on-line, you have to provide an email address to get your credit card receipt sent to you, and for any questions/problems that may arise. 

I can easily see the state having a database of email addresses that they'd send a blast to regarding the Read ID initiative. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

This real id act was signed into law after 911 by president bush. It has taken all these years for the state officials to figure out how to proceed in doing this. Sad actually considering it has to be don by 2020.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Because NM issued driver's licenses for years to illegals, we now have to get new ones using all the IDs others listed.  I think it's to one's advantage to get the new license.  I don't routinely carry my passport with me and would surely not have it when I needed it.

Where your at is one of those sanctuary cities I'd be scared to live there.

@Kachina624