Honored Contributor

Anyone recieve an eamil about the "Federal Real ID" act?

It came from the department of Motor Vehicles.  It might be a scam.  I have no idea.  Apparently I have to go down there with documentation of citizenship.  Afterwards I will be able to fly in an airline or visit a Federal Building.  It didn't address me by name.  Just a general greeting.  My husband told me to ignore it.  I looked it up.  Something from Homeland Security.  I have not responded.

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone recieve an eamil about the "Federal Real ID" act?

[ Edited ]

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

It's not a scam, and it's been discussed here at length previously. If you don't want to take a domestic airline flight or enter a federal building after 10/1/2020, or if you have a valid passport that you can use for your ID, then you don't need to do anything. Otherwise, you should pay attention to it. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Did it have to do with renewing your drivers license this time? 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in New York.I just renewed my drivers license & upgraded to a Real ID. If you have a valid passport you can use that for domestic travel instead.It’s up to you.

It was very easy to obtain.I had made an appointment & was in & out of the DMV in 25 minutes.

Esteemed Contributor

The lines at the DMV in California have been very long due to them having to issue Real ID's. Fortunately, I was able to make an appointment to renew my drivers license, take the written test - and I needed an accommodation - so I didn't have to wait long. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I live in New York.I just renewed my drivers license & upgraded to a Real ID. If you have a valid passport you can use that for domestic travel.It’s up to you.

@NicksmomESQ.  I’m using my passport. Only one motor vehicles in my county. Not bothering with the real ID.

Honored Contributor

In Georgia either a passport or birth certificate, SS card and two documents proving where you live are required for real id.. it was a fast process for each of us..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a Real ID compliant driver's license. There wasn't any extra charge for it when I renewed my current license. I have both a valid passport and passport card as well. I thought it'd be easy to prove I'm a US citizen with my passport card, particularly since the Michigan Secretary of State's website  (our version of the DMV) specifically says that a passport card is acceptable. HAH! It was a 30 minute process to explain to a succession of personnel at the SOS office that a passport card was acceptable. I prefer to use the passport card as my ID for domestic airline travel as it doesn't have my address on it, and the ID checker doesn't need to know where my empty house is located. I also had an ID checker at LGA insist that my Michigan driver's license was a fake because "everybody knows" that the town I'm from in southwestern Michigan is (in their mind) in Canada, not in Michigan. Ugh. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Because NM issued driver's licenses for years to illegals, we now have to get new ones using all the IDs others listed.  I think it's to one's advantage to get the new license.  I don't routinely carry my passport with me and would surely not have it when I needed it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment