Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone not doing anything for Thanksgiving?

@KailaS wrote:

i have been alone for most holidays over the last four years. Yes, my 93 year old mom is still alive and I will spend time with her, but mentally and socially she has her challenges, so there is never a relaxing meal of any type. Tonight I took over a small pan pizza for each of us ( she has been talking about pizza for weeks), but she does not sit at the table, keeps going into different rooms, and jumps from topic to topic if there is any conversation at all. It is not her fault, but holidays do become challenging. 

I probably will bake tomorrow ( and take mom cookies). I may make soup too. That ability to do what I wish is my favorite part of holidays.  😃

Grilled cheese ( with tomato soup) sounds like a great idea.

@KailaS   You are a good daughter and your mom is lucky to have you.

Respected Contributor

@roeroe1005 wrote:

So much has changed since last Thanksgiving.

When I lived in NY, I would "do" Thanksgiving (thank you Stop & Shop and Whole Foods and whoever) with my sister and her family and dad (after mom died).  Sometimes my aunt and cousin would be there.  After dinner, I would drive to another cousin's in Delaware and we would go midnight shopping with her SIL, niece and nephew.  It was fun - almost a party atmosphere and we would be out until early morning.  I very rarely bought anything, just went to watch.

In May dad passed away and now I live in DE.  So I will go to my cousin's.  I'm making Italian stuffing and roasted asparagus.  Then we will go shopping.

It will be strange without dad, and not being with my sister.  But life goes on ...

I do have to smile at those of you who are making Stove Top stuffing!  I worked for General Foods for 30 years and it's one of ours.  I can't believe people still use it!  Thank you!Woman Very Happy

@roeroe1005 @I too live in Delaware and the Black Friday shopping is awesome. When parents are gone the holidays are just not the same. 

Honored Contributor

My daughter always hosts this holiday -- she, her husband, the two grandchildren, and unfortunately (oops, did I say that out loud?) her in-laws.

But my daughter is just now starting to walk again after falling and breaking her right foot and injuring her left foot. So we are doing Thanksgiving here. The in-laws have other plans.

We're forgoing the traditional route. None of us really like turkey, and my granddaughter is vegetarian. So our main course will be veggie enchiladas (recipe from Bon Appetite). Dessert will be an apple bundt cake that is soooo good. A cheese plate for an appetizer and a nice non-Romaine salad as a first course.

I hope it all goes well and the same for all of you, whether it's staying home and being cosy or going elsewhere.

Holidays can be a difficult time for so many; good that it's just one day. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

The 2 of us are going out to a nice restaurant.

Honored Contributor

Thanksgiving has never been viewed as a special day in my family, and we do not get together for a meal.  

My husband and daughters love turkey, cranberry sauce, dressing and gravy, so I will cook those favorite things tomorrow.  I try to have everything done by 1:00 and everyone fixes a plate and eats when they get ready.   

Esteemed Contributor

Not really sure how our day will be.  My friend had knee replacement surgery on Tuesday, and we are picking her up but it could be Thursday or it could be Friday.  We are just waiting for the call.

So, a turkey breast will go in the crockpot, collard greens in the instant pot, dressing is already made, sweet potato casserole will be put together later in the morning, and mashed potatoes and gravy will be done right before dinner.

I will be heading to a workout in the morning.  Of course, all of this depends on whether we pick up my friend, and the hospital is 90 minutes away.

Wishing everyone here a wonderful Thanksgiving!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband bought a turkey from the Honey Baked ham store...it will just be us...my 17 year old son is in Heaven and my other son and daughter in law are both police officers and have to work...they will hopefully be able to come by for dessert after they get off duty though Smiley Happy  I made a Pecan pie 

Trusted Contributor

My husband and I are going to go out to eat.

I am looking forward to going out to eat, and having someone else make the turkey and the sides. Smiley Wink

Usually that's something that I would gladly do for us, but this year I'm not feeling up to making any kind of a turkey dinner right now.

I'm thinking about doing something for Christmas, though. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

We have a tradition of going out to a favorite restaurant with friends. Just for fun we have dessert first . 🤪

Have a happy Thanksgiving everybody !

Valued Contributor

Well, I guess I will be the first one to say I am actually working lol...I'm at work right now (I work 3rd shift) and I will work tonight too, the life of a single mom...My 16 year old daughter is going to her boyfriends for dinner so as long as she is taken care of I'm good...well, her and my dad. Her and I live with my dad and he is actually going over to my sisters house for dinner. She had initially said she wasn't going to cook, but decided at the last minute to go ahead and do it, so I'm sure they will probably make me a plate. Well, I hope anyways lol

I hope everyone has a good day!

~ Hope in TN ~