Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone not doing anything for Thanksgiving?

[ Edited ]

Plans include going to church in the morning, watching some of the Macy's Day Parade, a walk with DH, taking to kids on the phone and skyping with DGD, and DH's good cooking.  A nice quiet day.

P.S. Sneaking some turkey to the dog and kitties!   (They love turkey and it is fun to watch them get excited about it.)

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

Me.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Does sharing baked ham, corn pudding, baked sweet potatoes, and deviled eggs for dinner qualify as 'something'?  We will then enjoy some pumpkin pie and a cup of hot tea on the couch by the fire while watching the National Dog Show.  Will probably check in on a few football games also.  I look forward to a leisurely Thanksgiving together.   

Love the dog show!

Valued Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

We like our holidays quiet. We have been invited out but declined.We had older friends and kin that we would invite for dinner. We liked that.

We do have a TG tradition. One year I was in a wheelchair and not able to do much. When Mom came for dinner we had TV dinners (not me I am a vegetarian) she said it was the best TG ever. We have the TV dinner in her memory.

That's so sweet to honor your mom's memory.  Last Thanksgiving was rough since it was the first one without my mom.  It felt strange and very sad.  Still miss her this year and forcing myself to go to the invite at my brother's home.  STILL rather watch Hallmark!  I am thankful though it's going to be a small crowd for dinner.  Smiley Wink.

Wishing everyone a good day tomorrow!  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

After reading all of your replies I do not feel so bad.  Yes, we will be at a dinner provided by my husbands school buddy but if it was not for his family, I do not know what we would do.   It can be kind of lonely without family, my children live up North.  

Respected Contributor

Thanksgiving was my mother's major holiday. More important than Xmas. She came to this country when she was ten years old and truly loved it.

My parents had a market and worked six days a week. But somehow she had twenty people for dinner and did the whole thing. Instead of grace she told how she saw the Statue of Liberty when the ship she was on pulled into the New York harbor when she was ten years old.

After the family dispersed she and I spent Thanksgiving together. When she was able she came to visit me and did Thanksgiving for my friends and family. Her apple pie was so famous that friends who had other engagements stopped by for dessert.

When she couldn't come to me any longer I flew to see her; we always spent the holiday together.

When she was ninety three Parkinson's took over. I flew to see her and told her everyone in the family was fine. It was the day before Thanksgiving. She couldn't speak; I wasn't sure she understood me.

I flew home. The phone rang at 2a.m. She had died on Thanksgiving. Her funeral was three days later.

A cousin, a man of very few words, said,'Aunt Clara did this on purpose so we'd be together on Thanksgiving one last time.

I'm careful re invitations. I'm staying home this year because I don't most of the people who will be at the table. I'm going to watch her favorite movie, 'Roman Holiday' and just relax. Friends are bringing me a plate.

Honored Contributor

It's only me & DH here too but there's no way we'd miss this traditional yummy turkey meal. For me, this day is best of all holidays. I love the aromas this meal creates, I love to be the one cooking to create the wonderful aromas, and I love being one of two who thoroughly enjoys easting this meal.

Respected Contributor

Just my family of four at home, but we will make the full Thanksgiving spread. Hubby will grill the turkey, and I do the rest. Truthfully, the kids don't LOVE it, but they eat one meal of it. My husband and I, however, will eat the leftovers for days!! Favorite meal of the year for the two of us.

Trusted Contributor

DH, me and our three dogs.

Will make calls to family and loved ones who live far away.

Making turkey, dressing, sweet potato casserole, strawberry rhubarb pie, cranberry sauce, rolls, mac n cheese, roasted Brussels sprouts and shrimp cocktail.

Yes, that's a lot of food, but I think it's important to treat our holidays as special as if we were having a crowd come over.

And I'll have leftovers for ages.

Blessings to all.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh ...Don't feel like the lone ranger....DH and I are alone this year but we are going to a friends house early afternoon for dessert and coffee....